Cannot upload or change profile pictures

Cannot upload or change profile pictures

by Pat OKeefe -
Number of replies: 20
Hello,
I am not able to update profile pictures for some reason. I am able to browse , select and click upload however the picture never shows up in the profile.

Any suggestions on where to start?

I am using:

moodle 1.9.7
mysql 5.1.22
apache 2.2.8
php 5.2.6

maybe I need to re-compile/install php?

Thanks in advance for any ideas......

cheers

Pat
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pat OKeefe

Re: Cannot upload or change profile pictures

by Mohammed Al-shaqsi -
Hellow Pat ..

What is the max size you can upload ?

Check ... and tell me..

In reply to Mohammed Al-shaqsi

by Pat OKeefe -
screenshot

I must be missing something simple in my config somewhere......

While poking around I found several images that have been uploaded in ~moodledata/user[1-4]000/<various>/ dirs....... they are just not visable in the page.....
In reply to Pat OKeefe

by Jon Fila -
If the files are there it is possible you need to delete your cookies/cache. Then log in again and see if they are present.
In reply to Pat OKeefe

by Jeff Odachowski -
We are having the same issue on our site. Once they are up we are unable to change them.

Our file size and picture size are below the requirements and I have tired the refresh screen, delete cookies and even restart. I have even checked the database for some clue. Are you going to file a bug? Let me know if you find a solution.
In reply to Jeff Odachowski

by Pat OKeefe -
I have never submitted a bug report but would be happy to do so. Anyone know where to start?
In reply to Pat OKeefe

by Vidar Gudmundsson -
Hello. I have the same problem on moodle 1.9.7. Some users have pictures but can not upload new. I can delete the old picture but when i upload a new picture the old one appears ??
In reply to Jeff Odachowski

by Patrick Lyne -

I have a similar problem where I can delete a profile picture but when going back to upload a new picture it just loads the old one.  I am not sure where the cache memory is.  I logged out and in again but no luck.  However it does work when I logged out of Firefox and in via Google Chrome - so maybe it is a cache memory problem within the browser for moodle.

In reply to Pat OKeefe

by Bob Singletary -

All, if you are still having the issue with the profile pictures, please contribute to this tracker ticket by commenting and voting for it.

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-13322

In reply to Bob Singletary

by Mauno Korpelainen -

There are several possible reasons for these missing profile images - not just one issue that explains all cases. If you search the forums similar questions have been asked every year.

For example (not a complete list):

If users can upload image once but can't change it check that Administration > Security > Site policies >  Disable User Profile Images is not checked

If users can upload images to subfolders of moodledata/user/0/ - and the files are there but are not shown the problem might be for example wrong value in Administration > Server > HTTP > Use slash arguments (can be checked or unchecked) or site config.php might have some white spaces.

If user images are not at all in subfolders of moodledata/user/0 the subfolders might miss write permissions or some server side limitation (number of folders etc) might prevent writing to profile picture folders - or creating of new folders.

Or for example both server and browser cache might keep the old images unchanged even if the new ones were uploaded.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Luke Burton -
Administration > Server > HTTP > Use slash arguments

THAT DID IT! I just un-checked the box and my profile pics came through! I have been trying to figure this out for two weeks and am glad to know it was such a small thing!
In reply to Luke Burton

by Christy Tucker -
Just wanted to thank you for sharing this solution. I had the same problem and was pleasantly surprised to find out it was such a quick fix. I would never have found this on my own.

-Christy

by Carrie C -

Hi,

Sorry, I'm still a bit lost.  Where can I find this Administration > Security > Site policies > and  Administration > Server > HTTP > ?

Appreciate your enlightenment or from anyone.

Thanks heaps!

by Curtis Barker -
A variation on a theme -

I have some users that can upload files and get replies that JPEG (GIF, etc.) is not supported by the server, while others have no problems at all. The files are uploaded, etc.

by Shariq Ahmed -

Hi,

I am unable to get the CURRENT PICTURE to show up in the Edit Profile page. In other words all users have the default smiley and when they go to EDIT profile there is no option for them to add a picture.

There has to be a setting in the Admin area to enable the option for users to be able to add their pictures???? Pls help!

In reply to Shariq Ahmed

by Colin Wheelhouse -

Shariq,

Go to Admin > Security > Site Policies near the bottom there is an option to Disable User Profile Images the default is no so maybe you have the box checked, if so uncheck it. I have found that when you delete a user image sometimes it requires a few f5 refreshes of your screen or even a logout/in to clear the old image.

Cheers

Wheelie.

In reply to Bob Singletary

by Diane Wells -

I added my symptoms to the tracker and, a few days later, added the fix that worked for me. Thought I should add those things here as well.

Here in student users were able to upload and display profile pictures but the Administrator or Course Creator could not.  I checked and unchecked the slash dot argrument and verified that Admin>Security allows users to change is enabled, and the GD extension installed and enabled in PHP.

Our problem arose after an upgrade. The Admin and CC had profile pictures that displayed after the upgrade, but each used the delete option prior to selecting an alternate image. Then,  only the Moodle default image would appear for them even though the image upload process appeared to work.  I found that the Administrator's original profile image jpgs were in \moodledata\user\0\2 even though they would not display.

Eventually, I deleted the jpgs from the \moodledata\user\0\2 folder. Then, I was able to upload a new Administrator profile image through Moodle's Edit Profile interface and have the image display successfully. The key seemed to be deleting the existing image directly from the folder because the Edit Profile screen showed Current Picture as None so offered no Delete function.

Another thing I've noticed is that in order to change to a different profile image for any user, I have to Edit Profile, Delete the existing image, Update Profile, Edit Profile again to upload the new image, Update Profile, and then reload/refresh the Profile screen to display the new image.

We're running Moodle 1.9.9 on IIS 7.5 with PHP 5.2.12.

Hope this info helps someone along the way. Thanks to all who have taken the time to document their experiences. I've certainly benefitted from your efforts.

In reply to Pat OKeefe

by Chad Outten -
for anyone else who gets stuck with this issue. check your php environment settings and ensure GD extension is installed, enabled as part of php build. if not, you'll need to recompile php.
In reply to Chad Outten

by shiju kumar -
any one could you please tell how to recompile php... bcasue I am still facing the problem with profile image as black and I tried all the above mentioned things...
In reply to shiju kumar

by Emanuel Delgado -

Hello,

You can find PHP information about PHP  installation and configuration in this link:

http://php.net/manual/en/install.php

ed

In reply to Emanuel Delgado

by Jonathan Muzumara -

Thank you all for the solution

i had to enable the gd extnsion for it to work.