Help Please newbie and frustrated.

Help Please newbie and frustrated.

by Mark Smith -
Number of replies: 13
I was running a moodle for our school using the windows package on a windows server. Everything has been running flawlessly for the school year. Then on Sat. it went down. I came into school to the server and got the Database connection error....Database could be overloaded or check configuration. The configuration was fine. I spent 4 hrs. trying to get the error to go away. Mind you I am not a trained tech person. So, I thought after that many hours and being harassed about leaving I decided to delete the installation and reinstall and then install the backup. As I started to delete the installation, I got an error message about the mysqld.exe being right protected or in use. I just continued happily deleting all the rest and moved the file to another location. I have everything installed and can now get to the install page however when I get to the database setup page and click next it gives me a can't setup the database with these parameter errors. So, I guess I need help stopping the process that is running the mysqld.exe. Can anyone help me out. I will gladly give more info is need. I am very frustrated!!!!!! I was just at a point where other teachers were interested in starting use. So any help would be much appreciated.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Smith

Re: Help Please newbie and frustrated.

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

> I just continued happily deleting all the rest

That sounds scary!

Going by what you've said it looks like you're using MySQL and I think that there's something wrong with your MySQL installation. So, I'd first restart the server and see if that resolves the "mysql.exe process is in use" problem. If not, I'd check (or reinstall) MySQL and make sure that it is working correctly.

Next time (before you start happily deleting stuff) the correct approach would be to first find out what change was made to your environment (server) on Saturday morning (or Friday evening) before Moodle went down. If you can determine what change was made to the server then you will be in a much better position to work out what broke the Moodle site.

Did you make a change to the server? Did you apply patches? Did you install anything new? Were you hacked?

In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Mark Smith -
Thanks for the reply. I know it was a stupid move but frustration over whelmed me. I have found now that it is mysql, but I have no idea what changed. Now I know that is mysql. I did restart the file and deleted the file. Then tried to reinstall and at the database screen got the error can't creafe database with current settings. So now I am trying to uninstall mysql which. I need help with. I have looked around here and found somethings to try. But, any advice on uninstalling mysql...

I also get a weird error when shuting down xampp. It says it can't find mysqld.exe and xampp can't stop
In reply to Mark Smith

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I would go to your start menu and go to run and type services.msc

Then look through your list of services and stop (by right clicking and selecting stop) any services named mysql.

Once you have done this try reinstalling it again...
In reply to Jon Witts

by Mark Smith -

Thanks John and Luis,  I have now got things back to somewhat the way they were.  I am using xampp and mysql on a windows server.  When I start the moodle, I get the When I try to stop the moodle using stop.exe I get

Stopping "xampp"...
Can't find process "C:\Moodle\server\mysql\bin\mysqld.exe".
"xampp" is not stopped.
------------------------
Thanks for using Moodle.
------------------------
Press any key to continue . . . database connection error. 

I have checked the directories and mysqld.exe is there.  So?????

I have really screwed this up and all the help is greatly appreciated since again I am just a physics teacher running the moodle for the school.

In reply to Mark Smith

by Mark Smith -
Ok.... Now I need some different help. That is I found that on the server I am being allowed to use a folder was created on Friday that has a MYSQL server in it as well so it appears that there are two MYSQL servers trying to run on the same computer. IS that possible any suggestions??? Can a I create the moodle database in the other database server and if so does that mean I will have to do a manual install of moodle instead of using a windows package??
In reply to Mark Smith

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
IMHO you would be better off setting up Moodle with the manual installs of PHP apache and MySQL.

Does anyone else have access to this server that may have installed another copy of MySQL on it?
In reply to Jon Witts

by Mark Smith -
Jon thanks again, I did find out that yes this server is also our exchange server and I was piggy backing on it. Well, I found out that they just installed on friday a folder running MYSQL for our sonicwall an email has been sent to the network web guy to ask for advice. So my question is couldn't I just set up a database in their mysql server for the moodle and then manually install the other parts? I think that is what I am going to try.
In reply to Mark Smith

by Jon Witts -
Yes you could - and I would suggest that is probably your best bet right now. Although long term, as a sys admin, I would not want Moodle running on my exchange server!
In reply to Jon Witts

by Mark Smith -
Do you mind if I ask why?? This is the place that the my tech people gave it to me to set up?? So what is the draw back?
In reply to Mark Smith

by Jon Witts -
Of course I don't mind. Exchange is a very resource intensive application and email is usually considered an enterprise critical application.

When Moodle picks up, it can also be a resource intensive application for a server.

I personally, would not want to possibly compromise either my moodle install or enterprise email by having either application bring down the other by using too many server resources.
In reply to Jon Witts

by Mark Smith -

Thank you Jon.  I might have another question in a little bit aparently the Network admin took my backup and fixed the MYSQL conflict but now I try to login and there is nothing behind it the pages is just white nothing there.  Would you have any ideas.  I have mananged on another computer it manually install moodle on XP using Apache, MYSQL and  PHP.  I am kind happy and I started running the back up on it so I am feeling better about getting it running again.

So, any ideas on the login page then goes blank after logging in.

In reply to Mark Smith

by Mark Smith -
Here is the latest update. They managed to fix the MYSQL conflict I think. But, I start the install with the package and I get to the screen that is letting me set up the database I do all the steps click next or whatever the botton is and it goes to a blank screen. I am guessing this is because it can't communicate with the MYSQL that I have running and the other one is causing a conflict would that be correct??? The reason why I am asking is because I have to go to my tech guy and he has to email the network admin. So, I want to know what I am talking about.
In reply to Mark Smith

by Jon Witts -
Which install package did you use? If you downloaded the windows installer package then you have just installed another version of MySQL which will be clashing with the version already on the server.

You need to download each part separately; PHP, Apache (or IIS) and MySQL (although your network admin has already done the MySQL bit!) and then install the standard Moodle package...