Submitting all attempts at once

Submitting all attempts at once

by Saparmurat Christiansen -
Number of replies: 6
Hello everyone,
I'm sorry if it's a repeating question, but I couldn't find any references to this problem.

We are using Moodle 1.9 for the last year and a half, and out of tens of thousands of quiz attempts over this time, by thousands of students, few complained that they submitted a quiz only once, but lost all 3 attempts allowed.

And indeed, in all these cases, the first attempt's "time taken" field in the quiz results tab is shown for some reasonable amount of time, but the last two attempts "time taken" field shows "now", presumably it means zero time.

Is there anything to do? Do you know what causes the problem?

Thanks.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Saparmurat Christiansen

Re: Submitting all attempts at once

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Did they impatiently click Submit all and Finish several times?

In reply to Tim Hunt

The problem is that I don't know and don't manage to recreate the problem myself.

Whenever I click "submit" I (and presumably everyone) get a pop-up window saying: "You are about to close this attempt. [...]", and this disables impatient clicking in the quiz window.
But maybe if the internet connection is slow, students might click again the submit button before the pop-up disables it?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Well, I have not reproduced it either, I am only taking an educated guess, but the most likely cause of what you are seeing is repeated clicking on the submit button. (And when you click the button once, it does not get disabled.)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Hi Tim,
What exactly did you mean by "And when you click the button once, it does not get disabled."?

When I click "submit" once, it immediately gets disabled; when does it not happen?

by Tim Hunt -
I don't think it does that in standard Moodle? Are you using a customised version?
In reply to Tim Hunt

Hmmm... We do use some customization in fact, but as far as I know it's only an addition of a question type, and the quiz module itself is unchanged.

The pop-up & submit button disable is so immidiate (even when accessed from outside the institute network) on both Safari and Firefox, that I can't imagine how "over-clicking" can occur, on those two browsers at least. Might it be a Microsoft IE-specific problem?