Forum

Picture of Mike Haney
News forum not sending emails with forced subscription

I've reviewed several old posts on this site and others regarding this type of issue, but so far none of them had a solution that worked, or was applicable (old versions, etc).

I'm running a v1.9.4 site that has a main news forum on the front page. This forum is set to force all users as subscribed, just like we have for some of our course-level forums.

Emails are working for general site functions (new users, password resets, quickmail), and for all other subscribed forums. It seems like just this main forum has this issue.

When I create a new post the problem is the same if I leave it to be sent after the 30 minute edit timeout, or if I use the "Mail Now" checkbox. I've monitored our SMTP gateway and when messages are placed on the forum nothing hits it, Moodle is not sending the emails. I've enabled debugging (including email), and no errors are produced.

I've also set up a test post, used "Mail Now", and manually run the cron... This results in the following message:

Processing module function forum_cron ...0 users were sent post 173, 'Microsoft Academic Alliance Software Program'

I'm not sure what to do next, anyone have any tips or other things I can check to see if I can resolve this issue?

Thanks!

Mike

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Mike Haney
Re: News forum not sending emails with forced subscription

Just an update here, a coworker of mine came across a very useful post that revealed the answer to this problem.

Turns out the "mod/forum:initialsubscriptions" setting was set to "Not Set" for the default role we assign to all users (which is "Authenticated Users"). Since the users don't inherit this at the main news forum level, it seems like the forced subscription never took effect on our user base.

Once I set this item to Allow, I reposted to the forum and the cron is chewing through the emails now.

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
Picture of Eduardo Marques

Mike,

Same problem after an update, but your solution also worked perfectly in Moodle 1.9.7.
Someone knows if there are any kind of problem in adding that setting to Authenticated Users?

Bests,
Eduardo Marques

Picture of R McPhee

Where exactly did you find this setting?

Picture of Diane Villemure

This may be a blinding flash of the obvious but I thought I'd share it anyway. Emails were not being sent from the news forum even though I had forced subscription and the cron job was running fine and emails were being sent from other forums and apps in Moodle. And just like with Mike, no errors were produced in email debugging.

Turns out that the culprit was that I had set the news forum's visibility to "Hide" because a student had complained that he couldn't add a post or reply to post in that forum. What tipped me that I needed to set the news forum's visibility to "Show" is that when I manually ran the cron job I would get a line like below for every student that were to receive the email notification:

user 23 can not see 28

where 23 is the ID number of the student and 28 is the ID number of the post.

and the Processing module function forum_cron would finish with:

0 users were sent post 28, 'Test 2'

So lesson learned is that "Hide" not disables visibility but also email notification.

Picture of Ben Duver

is there a way to just disable all emails?

-rewill

(Edited by Helen Foster to remove links - original submission Wednesday, 2 March 2011, 08:33 AM)

Picture of Diane Villemure

In Moodle 2, the forums have a "Subscription mode" setting called: "Subscription disabled". With that setting, there is no email notification of posts.

Picture of William Megill

I've been hunting for a solution to this issue all morning. Have finally concluded that the problem is the cron settings with the ISP (in this case 123-reg.co.uk). They won't allow me to adjust the settings, so I've come up with a workaround, which seems to solve the problem. Under the news forum link, I've created a URL resource, linking to

http://wontwork.com/moodle/admin/cron.php

and not made it visible. Teachers can see the link, but students can't. So for the forums where it's one way communication, this solves the problem by adding two extra clicks to the news posting process. A bit of a bother, but for a small site, hopefully useful to someone.

Picture of Kimberly Dawn

What exact steps do I take to create "mod/forum:initialsubscriptions" to be set to "allow".

I can't seem to find "mod/forum:initialsubscriptions".

Thanks, 

Kim

Picture of Kimberly Dawn

Is the below inside the cpanel file of my hosting account?  Is that why I cannot find it?

What exact steps do I take to create "mod/forum:initialsubscriptions" to be set to "allow".

I can't seem to find "mod/forum:initialsubscriptions".

Thanks, 

Kim

Picture of Alexander K.

Hey this capability has been replaced. Take a look at:

When allowforcesubscribe is set everything works fine.

Picture of Alan Hare

Alexander,

I there a way for Moodle to send the email messages instantly with out having to run the cron?

Picture of Peter Seaman
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

I'm using Moodle version 1.9.3 and I'm having a similar problem occasionally. The problem is that the instructor (teacher role) isn't seeing ALL of the e-mails he sends, just some of them. E-mails are NOT being caught in his spam filter - he checks it daily. His e-mail account is activated in his user profile. Any other ideas? (aside from upgrading, which I will do eventually). Thanks.

Peter