enrolment by categories

enrolment by categories

by Jun Low -
Number of replies: 5
Hi,

I currently have my courses set up so that they sit in a category.

so for example, i have a category called "coal". In this category, there are 4 courses (introduction to coal, legislation, hazards, and environment). The intention is to have more categories (e.g. metalliferous, extractive etc etc) which then have a number of courses linked to each category.

Normally, to enrol my students I go into the individual courses and manually add their names to the course. This however gets pretty tedious as I'd have to add each student to all four courses each time. Is there a way to entrol students to the category instead of the individual courses? That way, it would save a lot more time as I'd just enrol them into the category instead of having to enrol into each individual course.

Cheers,
Jun.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jun Low

Re: enrolment by categories

by Jun Low -
scratch that..i managed to figure out that i had to do it via metacourses. smile

In reply to Jun Low

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
actually - you CAN enrol via categories; you don't have to use metacourses. Go to the category page and there is a button top right "assign roles" and you can enrol them from theresmile
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jun Low -
thanks for that!! i was looking at the standard left hand admin block instead looking for assign roles.

Cheers,
Jun.
In reply to Jun Low

by Marshall Wells -

clicking on Assign roles under the settings menu for catagories brings me to a blank page

WWW.SITE.COM/admin/roles/permissions.php?contextid=22

Moodle 2.0 (Build: 20101125) currently installed

In reply to Marshall Wells

by Olumuyiwa Taiwo -
Picture of Plugin developers

You're probably getting a PHP fatal error. To see what the error is, turn on debugging (Site Administration >> Development >> Debugging >> Set 'Debug messages' to 'DEVELOPER' and tick the 'Display messages' check-box).

Alternatively, you might find it easier to upgrade to the most recent stable version (you probably should upgrade anyway)