Can't configure random entry block on front page

Can't configure random entry block on front page

от emerson loustau -
Number of replies: 7
I am trying to show a random glossary entry on the front page of my site. The block appears with the message: "please configure this block..." When I attempt to select the glossary from which random entries will be picked, the only option is "choose." I know there is a global glossary in one of my courses, because I can access it when I enter the course. Is there something else I need to do to make this work?

I'm using Moodle 1.9.5
In reply to emerson loustau

Re: Can't configure random entry block on front page

от Joseph Rézeau -
Снимка на Core developers Снимка на Particularly helpful Moodlers Снимка на Plugin developers Снимка на Testers Снимка на Translators

Hi Emerson,

There is no such thing as a "global glossary" in Moodle. I suppose you mean a "Main Glossary"? Anyway, Main or Secondary glossaries are only available in the courses where they reside. If you want to show random glossary entries on your Moodle front page you'll have to create a glossary on the front page, to select random entries from.

Joseph

Edited by JR

Sorry about the confusion in my post, Emerson. Here is the correct information (hopefully).

In any Moodle course (and on the front page as well) you can have glossaries which can be Main, Secondary and optionally Global. The only Help is somewhat useful to understand this rather confusing terminology. Anyway, here goes.

If you create a Glossary in any course (or on your Moodle site front page) and you tick the Global box in the settings, then that "Global Glossary" will be available everywhere on your Moodle site (on the site front page and in each of the site's courses). Please note that you have to be logged in as Admin to be able to tick that box. "Available" means that any piece of text - anywhere on your site - which contains a word that is an entry in that "Global Glossary" will have that word automatically linked to that glossary.

Unfortunately, and that was your initial problem, a Global Glossary is only available to the Random Glossary entry block in the course where it resides and where the Random Glosssary block resides as well. That is a bug feature of Moodle.

To create your Random Glosssary block on your site's front page, follow Jon's advice, and create a glossary on your front page (it does not need to be set to Global if you only want to use it for the Random block feature).

Hope this helps,

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

от emerson loustau -
I'm confused about a couple things:

1. What is the main/secondary glossary distinction?
2. What is the check box in the glossary configuration that says "global"?
3. When I turn on blocks editing on my front page, I have an option to "add random glossary entry" but there is no option to "add glossary." I was assuming that it was going to draw those random entries from a different glossary somewhere else on the site. Is that not correct? Is there way to place a regular glossary on the front page? This would be perfect for me.

Thanks for your help!

ps: for clarity, I've attached a screenshot of the situation which initiated this question.
Attachment screenshot.jpg

от Jon Witts -
Снимка на Particularly helpful Moodlers Снимка на Plugin developers Снимка на Testers
I have a random glossary entry on my front page working fine.

You need to add a glossary to your front page. You can do this either by adding it in the topic section (if you have this turned on in the front page settings) or by adding it to the main menu.

Jon

от Paula Clough -

Emerson,

You can check the little question marks in Moodle next to the features. They are very helpful. 

1. Glossary type:

Defining the main glossary of the course

The glossary system allows you to export entries from any secondary glossary to the main one of the course. In order to do this, you need to identify one glossary as the main one.

Note: You can only have one main glossary per course.

Before Moodle 1.7, only Teachers could edit the main glossary. In Moodle 1.7 and later, if you wish to control who can edit any glossary (including the main one) you need to use the Override roles interface.

2. Global:

Defining a global glossary

Only administrators, and other users with the capability site:doanything allowed, can define a glossary to be global.

Any course may contain a global glossary (but particularly the front page).

The difference to a normal local glossary is that the entries are used to create automatic links throughout the whole site (and not just in the same course the glossary belongs to).

3. Random glossary:

We have 1.9 and when an admin turns editing on in the Front Page, another topic box opens at the top and allows adding resources or activities... so you could add a glossary there.  Once you add something to that topic box, it will remain open when you turn the editing off.

Hope that helps.

от John White -

Hi Emerson,

This problem existed in 1.9 and Anthony Borrow gave a patch solution.

It still exists in 2.0.1 so I have modified Anthony's patch to give a similar solution there too, as we plainly need Global Glossaries to mean Global. With the patch, users who have the right to view the course content where the glossary exists will see the random glossary entries on the front page. In the original patch its possible that ALL would see the entries on the front page (this probably needs an additional 'switch' in the block config, eventually, so that Admin can make a choice about this issue). You can find both fixes via this thread: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=89732

Regards, John