Compulsory Student Magement Systems in Australia and Moodle Integration

Compulsory Student Magement Systems in Australia and Moodle Integration

by John Lowry -
Number of replies: 4
I heard that, as of March 1, 2010 all RTO's must implement an AVETTMES compliant student management system. It appears that some companies are seeking to integrate with Moodle. What information is available about the new requirement and about Moodle integration?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Lowry

Re: Compulsory Student Management Systems in Australia and Moodle Integration

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi John,
Very interesting topic. But I couldn't find any reference to 'AVETTMES' in google. Could you provide a link to that? Also, I wondered what 'RTO' referred to. Thanks!
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Peter Lowry -
Vocational Education is highly regulated in Australia Don. RTO is a registered training organisation. AVETTMISS is, as I understand, a protocol for reporting / communicating with Government. (someone might have a more concise definition).

These are the relevant government agencies.
Best,
John

http://www.training.com.au/portal/site/public/menuitem.118e29e68c7b0615af17bfae17a62dbc/

http://www.aqf.edu.au/

Average of ratings: Cool (1)
In reply to Peter Lowry

by Russell Waldron -
Schools typically use a purpose-built application for Student Management (an SMS), more-or-less isolated from their Moodle. It should be easier to output AVETMISS data from the SMS than from Moodle.

The SMS is usually part of a complex qualification process for getting demographic-linked subsidies. It needs minimal information about the content of courses because funding does not (yet) depend on qualitative aspects of learner performance.

The VLE is part of a mass of teacher/learner interactions, and not oriented around demographics because it is possible to teach well without background information about students.

The essential documentary output of an SMS is authorisation for a student ID for specific courses.

The essential documentary output of a VLE is a statement of achievement (grades).

AVETMISS specs require a lot of fields that are not in Moodle:
http://www.ncver.edu.au/statistics/avetmiss60/vetprovider/vetprov_collection_specs60.pdf

Data might be stored in existing spare fields and repurposing a few, but only if:

1. All of your Course Creators strictly follow a protocol regarding all of the Course and Assignment identifiers and names, etc.

2. Validation rules are applied to user profile data and course data after it has been created.

I had assumed that all RTOs had a Student Administration System with much more (relevant) detail than Moodle (at least for billing purposes!). Are there any RTOs that don't?
In reply to Russell Waldron

by Daryl Hunt -

I work for an RTO we used Nrolls but recently changed to Frontdesk. I dont really know these days how an RTO could function without having a student management system. Our organisation does not use a LMS so cant comment about Moodle integration but I feel to make is AVETMISS compliant it would need alot of work.

cheers

Daryl