Grades incomplete

Grades incomplete

by P J -
Number of replies: 10
Hello,

I'm a bit of a newbie.

My courses have several graded assignments (each assignments graded x number of points). The final course grade is the sum of all the assignment grades.

Suppose there are 3 assignments:
  • Paper, 50 points
  • Project, 25 points
  • Presentation, 25 points
Currently, the student would get a grade of 75 if s/he only completed two out of the three assignments. Instead, I would like the student to get an "in progress" or "incomplete" until they have completed all the assignments.

How can I do this? I so much appreciate your help!

1.9.3 (Build: 20081015)
In reply to P J

Re: Grades incomplete

by Itamar Tzadok -
Are the assignments' grades all or nothing? Otherwise the student would get up to 75 (only) if s/he completed the paper and one of the other assignments. Moreover, the student may get less than 75 even if s/he completed all the assignment. And so the question becomes whether incomplete should designate overall-grade<75 or number-of-submitted-assignments<3.

smile
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by P J -
Each assignment can earn up the amount of points listed (not all or nothing).

The incomplete should designate number-of-submitted-assignments<3. How can I accomplish this?

Thanks!!!
In reply to P J

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi P J,
If you would have the set number of points that would indicate the incomplete, then it is doable.
But if it is the number of assignments, I, personally, cannot think of anything that would help with that task.
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Alane Breitmeyer -

This sounds like something that one of my instructors would like to do, but I am new to Moodle. We are using 1.9+ and my instructor would like to give a quiz worth 15 points. However she does not want to give 15 points as the grade, rather anyone that scores 60% or better would receive 10 points. Students that receive less than 60% receive a 0 grade. I know how to do this in excel but cannot figure out if it is possible in Moodle. If you (or anyone) can help me it would be very much appreciated. Thanks Alane

In reply to Alane Breitmeyer

by Alane Breitmeyer -

Please disregard previous post I was able to create a formula that combined the Max function and the rounding function to replace the grade with the desired output. Thanks anyway. Alane

In reply to P J

by Itamar Tzadok -
If a submission gets at least 0.5 points, you can calculate the final grade by a formula such as

(0.25*Presentation + 0.25*Project + 0.5*Paper)

and multiply by

round((||Presentation||/100)+0.49,0)*round((||Project||/100)+0.49,0)*round((||Paper||/100)+0.49,0)

The last part should be 1 if all the assignments were submitted and graded or 0 if at least one assignment was not submitted or graded; and so the whole formula would be 0 if at least one assignment was not submitted or graded and that 0 can be displayed as incomplete.

smile

by P J -
Hi Itamar, thanks so much, this calculation looks terrific. I get the outcome and it looks great. But, would you mind explaining how it works? It would be a great help so I can try to replicate it. Thanks so much!
In reply to P J

by Itamar Tzadok -
Sure.

Consider the Presentation assignment and suppose it was submitted and graded 75. Then:

round((||Presentation||/100)+0.49,0)=
round((75/100)+0.49,0)=
round(0.75+0.49,0)=
round(1.24,0)=

If the Presentation was not submitted:

round((||Presentation||/100)+0.49,0)=
round((0/100)+0.49,0)=
round(0+0.49,0)=
round(0.49,0)=

When the grade of a submitted Presentation is at least 1 point (out of 100) then ||Presentation|| is between 1 and 100, ||Presentation||/100 is between 0.01 and 1, and ||Presentation||/100+0.49 is between 0.5 and 1.49.

When the round function is set to 0 decimals it rounds a number to the nearest integer, such that if the fraction is >=0.5 it returns the ceiling, and if the fraction is <0.5 it returns the floor. So, round(n,0) applied to a number between 0.5 and 1.49 should return 1.

Set this way this part of the formula should return 1 for a graded Presentation and 0 for non-submission (or non-graded, or graded less than 1 point). And you have a flag.

If you have several assignments you can set a flag for each. The product of all flags is 0 if at least one is 0 and 1 only if all are 1. And so you have an "overall" flag which you can apply to the course grade.

Hope this makes it clearer. smile

by Sandra Frigeri -

Hi Itamar!

Could you help me!

We have 2 formulas for finalevaluation and diferente weights in each formula:

finalevaluation = GA + GB (if finalevaluation >= 70, the student has approved)

finalevaluation = (2*(GA + GB) + GC) / 3, for other cases

if (GA + GB) less than 70 the student is bound to make GC, if he does not do his note on GC will be zero. Them there are cases in which the student not has GC, he should have, them the formula must use finalevaluation = (2*(GA + GB) + GC) / 3

But, if (GA + GB) is greater than or equal to 70, the student does not make the GC. In these cases finalevaluation = GA + GB

I try to think in a solution without IF, but I'm fail.

Could you help me.

thanks.