Emails not being sent

Emails not being sent

by Manpreet Sambhi -
Number of replies: 3

Email notifications are not working. Don't know when it stopped but it doesn't send them out anymore. I have no idea why this has gone wrong and i recently upgraded to 1.96 and this hasnt changed anything.

Any ideas as I am a complete novice

In reply to Manpreet Sambhi

Re: Emails not being sent

by Peter Seaman -
Hi Manpreet: E-mails from Moodle can be a bit tricky, in my experience. Two ideas you can pursue:

1) If you are an admin, go to Server --> Email in the Admin block, and make sure your settings are correct. Sometimes, for example, an incorrect e-mail address will get entered in your e-mail settings, which messes everything up.

2) You may need to configure the php.ini file on your database. If #1 doesn't work, let me know and I can try to walk you through those steps.

Peter
In reply to Peter Seaman

by Manpreet Sambhi -

Thanks for replying.

I have been to the email page and its all blank, however it used to work before and I don't recall filling this in at any point.

The information given says...

Give the full name of one or more local SMTP servers that Moodle should use to send mail (eg 'mail.a.com' or 'mail.a.com;mail.b.com'). To specify a non-default port (i.e other than port 25), you can use the [server]:[port] syntax (eg 'mail.a.com:587'. If you leave it blank, Moodle will use the PHP default method of sending mail.
Maybe my site sent emails via the method highlighted in bold? ...
In reply to Manpreet Sambhi

by Peter Seaman -
Yes, Moodle is then using the PHP default method, so your php.ini file has to be configured correctly. Whoever is doing your Moodle hosting should be able to tell you how to configure it. For example, the folks at Bluehost in the U.S., who do some Moodle hosting, showed me how to configure the php.ini file on their server. It might be different on yours. I can share the directions I used, if you think it will help.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable about Moodle can chime in at this point?

Peter