"Not completed" message after reaching the End of Branch

"Not completed" message after reaching the End of Branch

by Yuri Vedrashko -
Number of replies: 11

Hey Chris, I don't understand why in my Lesson report page I keep getting "Not completed" message after finishing my lessons as a student.

How should I Jump-link the End of Branch page to make sure that the lesson is completed and the earned grade shows in the gradebook? Should I link it to the first Branch table page or to the cluster that starts the chain of unseen questions?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Yuri Vedrashko

Re: "Not completed" message after reaching the End of Branch

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Yuri,
I am not really sure but will play with a lesson to see if I can get it to say that.

Remember that changing you status from a teacher to a student does not always work smile Log in as a test student and see what happens.

Sounds like you have a question in the lesson, which would be my first point. I always like to have a branch table or question page as my last page in the lesson. I want all my student to end up on this page. At least one of the jumps on this page go to "end of lesson". Sometimes this is the only question page in the lesson and it is impossible to miss it.

I sometimes turn on scoring to see what is going on in the lesson for my test student.

Look at your Lesson settings. I wonder if some settings are fighting each other. Do you have custom scoring on, and minimum number of questions set, but none of the questions award points for a correct answer? Or the minimum number is set too high ? Set the minimum to 0 and see what happens. They will not be able to complete the lesson if it is set to 100 and you only have 10 questions. Been there done that.

Hope this helps. Chris
In reply to Chris Collman

by Yuri Vedrashko -

Thank you, Chris.

Re changing my status and logging in as a test student, been there, done that. No results. 

I always keep my process scoring on, and it shows me my earned points, but when I reach the end of the lesson, the lesson completion protocol shows that I've earned 0 points and didn't complete it.

My lesson settings are ok too: the custom scoring is on. Minimum number of questions is set to 0.

I've completed my Lessons  from different test student accounts many times, and the earned score would always transfer to the gradebook as 0.

I've tried everythign possible on different levels of the system. Still, no effect on my grade book.

It's frustrating. sad

I'll keep trying.

Yuri

by Chris Collman -
Hi Yuri,
Appreciate your frustration.

Is practice Lesson set to yes? I am trying to figure out why Lesson would not record a score that sticks. I am taking a break at work but will try a few things at home on my local host later tonight.

In the meantime, see how demo.moodle.net > Moodle Features course, Topic 7 (lessons) works. The Lesson settings are different on each of those lessons. First check: will one of the lessons with questions record your grade. Second, will the grade appear in gradebook. What happens when you import the Lesson that works in demo.moodle into your troublesome course. Will it work?

Have you ever been able to do it on your site? The other option is that some sort of site setting (lots of potentials) or conflict because the code of your site has been tweaked, is preventing the score from being saved.

Hope it is practice lesson smile

Best Chris
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Yuri Vedrashko -

Many thanks, Chris.

I'll follow-up on your advice and will let you know if it worked.

Yuri

by Yuri Vedrashko -

Chris,

I found the cause of my problem, thanks to your advice to look at the two demo Lessons. surprise  smile

I simply didn't notice, therefore didn't use, the End of lesson jump in my final End of Branch page.

So, I guess, the importance of using this final jump in the last page can be made somehow more explicit in the teacher documentation. In fact, I don't remember seeing this point in the documentation files at all.

Anyway, thanks for your help.  I dig the Lesson function, especially the prospect of minimizing my interaction with students through it in real time.

by Chris Collman -
Hi Yuri,
That is why I have a degree in Cultural Anthropology, with 5 years of human cross cultural experience and over 20 with computer cross cultural experience smile

Ah "End of branch". One of those mystical navigation pages, unseen by the student.
If that is the end of lesson, then you need to tell it. I think the default is to find the previous branch table in the edit order. That was a bunch of short hand, if you do not understand, let me know.

I will check MoodleDocs later and see what it says about end of branch.

Thanks,
Chris

by Alice Keeler -
I am going to have no hair left....

No matter what I do I can't make it not say "not completed" for a student.

I keep switching back and forth between the test student and the teacher seeing if anything I do makes a difference... it doesn't.
In reply to Alice Keeler

by Alice Keeler -
Okay, I finally get it.

On the Branch Table (which I call table of contents) one of my jumps as to be END OF LESSON.
In reply to Alice Keeler

by Yuri Vedrashko -

Congrats, Alice!

I've been through the same predicament for a few weeks almost every day.

I wanted to see lesson grades pushed into the teacher's and student's grade reports, along with getting rid of "Lesson not completed" message.

It was like having the torture of fruitless search vs. faith in Moodle match inside my head. The latter won. My hair went grey a little though.

But that experience makes us experts on the use of the End of LESSON jump. I'm jealous of all Lesson designers who never ran into this problem.

by Yuri Vedrashko -

Just curious, Chris.

How did you make use of your background in Cultural Anthropology to help me here?

by Chris Collman -
Hi Yuri,
Wikipedia says Anthropology is the study of humanity. For me cultural anthropology is the study of processes and things used by groups of people and personally communicating this to others. I think of computers being designed by one group of people and often used by another group. My field experience was more in applied anthropology, where I was tasked with assisting others in doing something.

Essentially, we are all anthropologists here in MoodleLand smile Some of us know it and some of do not. We all think differently (including Moodle) and have different goals while we use the same tools. I try to hold the believe that cultures and people/things shaped by culture are not stupid and dumb. I just do not understand them, for what ever reason. Thus my training and experience is to throw out ideas using different perspectives/tools. My faith is this method allows people solve their own problems in ways I might not have anticipated.

Cultural anthropology by Chris. Forum moderator, please note this is off topic but might help someone with "end of branch" or other mythical concepts in Lesson smile