HTML block length limit

HTML block length limit

by Joshua Westerway -
Number of replies: 3
Hi,

Not sure of the reason but it appears that some HTML blocks on my site are being cut off when they load in the client browser. Is there any limit to the length a HTML blocks contents can be?

Or is the limit based on how long it takes the block to load the contents?

-Josh
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joshua Westerway

Re: HTML block length limit

by Mat Cannings -
Hi Josh,
There are restrictions on the content placed by some themes in use. As far as I am aware these restrict the width but not the height.

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Theme_settings#Sideblock_width

The width is fairly strictly enforced so as not to squeeze the middle column which is where the 'important' information is located.

Are you able to include a screenshot so that we can see the nature of the problem.
In reply to Mat Cannings

by Joshua Westerway -

Hi Mat,

Thanks for the info I have set my sideblock widths in theme config to what I wanted that does not appear to be the problem.

http://web2.ulladulla-h.schools.nsw.edu.au/moodle/

This is the site in question, on the homepage the HTML block giving me grief is the top left "Principals Message".

On testing it appears to be an IE issue... The full block text appears fine in Firefox and IE 6 but IE 7 and 8 cut it short. Why would IE 7 and 8 cut the block short? Apart from being crappy MS apps.

The full text in the block under the photo should read:

"Excellence is evident in our student achievements in academic, vocational, cultural and sporting arenas. Respectful, Responsible students ‘Strive for the Summit’ every day. Our focus on students across years 7 to 12 leads to engagement of students and teachers in quality projects. Take the time to explore our site and share in the life of our school."

But it is cut short to the same point each time and reads:

"Excellence is evident in our student achievements in academic, vocational, cultural and sporting arenas."

Would this be a computer issue or an issue with the block?

In reply to Joshua Westerway

by Joshua Westerway -
I THINK I have sorted it out. Appears to be the Italics text that was in there wrapped in <em> once I took the tags out the block shows up fine.

What is it with the <em> tags and IE that does not play well?