Activity Locking vs Using a Child Course

Activity Locking vs Using a Child Course

by Jon Boggiano -
Number of replies: 1
Our courses consist of blended learning. Right now we have two moodle courses set up for each course. One course is for the live instruction portion for which we use face to face. The second is for the online learning content where we have uploaded scorm content.

The course is sequential meaning that the online content does not become available until the user completes the live instruction course.

I tried using Activity Locking (I'm don't fully understand all of its features yet) but the problems I have are two fold:

1 - We run the same live instruction course in dozens of cities. Each instance/session is its own face-to-face and a user need only attend one face to face session to be eligible for the online content. It seems as if the activity lock is an all or nothing proposition, I can't set it to say that any face-to-face attendance would qualify to unlock the online learning content.

2 - The online learning content is accessible for 60 days from the face-to-face/live session attendance. Any ideas on how to control this?

Right now we do this manually.

Thank you
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jon Boggiano

Re: Activity Locking vs Using a Child Course

by Amir Elion -
Hi Jon.
As for issue one if you open just one face-to-face activity but then open different sessions for that activity (these can be on different times and in different locations) this should solve your problem. Actually, I think this should be the correct use of this activity. The only times we open more than one face-to-face activity, is when there is a significant difference between the two - e.g. begineer vs. advanced intructor-led training.

I have an idea concerning issue 2. If you use groups and groupings, you can then put the online content (SCORM) to be visible only to a specific grouping, and then define the availability of this resource/activity according to when the group had the training. So, if you put copies of the SCORM activity in the course, only the group members would see it according to the availability setting set within the actvity.

Using groups/groupings would also prove valuable to track the grades and completion of activities per group. You can distribute the people in the groups or perhaps better yet - avoiding manual work - give each group a unique key for course enrolment and they are then automatically put into their group.

One more thing - is there a specific reason you put the online and face-to-face activities in different courses? Wouldn't it be easier for learners if you put it in the same course - say in topic 1 and topic 2?

Best of luck. Ask more if I was not clear.