We got into your "copy 1" and "copy2" problem by using backup & restore to duplicate classes. We hadn't realized we were creating copies. It happens at the very bottom of the restore page, when you don't map the purported copies to the original.
You don't need to worry about the users. They are users of the original role, too.
I spent a very long afternoon as admin deleting all those copies. They multiply when you restore a course with copy1 and copy2 already in them. So, I advise you to kill those copies now and make clean backups of your courses.
Go into site administration & get those pests!