Assignment users to groups or specific category

Assignment users to groups or specific category

by Eli Peli -
Number of replies: 6
Hi, I'm still on version 1.9.5 and I'm satisfied with features I discovered there. I tried some other LMS like last version of eFront but due to stay "standard" I decided to use as main tool nice Moodle LMS. My problem is as follows:
I'm teacher of 12 class, divided into 3 grade (6th, 7th and 8th). Each class have 25-30 pupils. It's not problem to upload their name, password ... but I'm tired of particular assignment for each pupils to some units, it's slow and boring. I would like to see is there some ability where I could during the registration user process (pupil) to assign them to some group in order to make more easier assignment this custom group to particular unit, e.g. all pupils from 7th class belongs to group 7grade etc.? Is there some option in new version to create some custom group of users in order to simplify this monthly or weekly task?
Thank you.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eli Peli

Re: Assignment users to groups or specific category

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
yes - if you upload via a csv file you can include details of their course and group in there - have a look at the Moodle docs here
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Eli Peli -
Hi, thanks for response. That's OK when I have already installed and finished all course etc. but if I add later another courses then I must to walk through same step more than 100x in order to add them to another courses, right!?
In reply to Eli Peli

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I'm not quite sure what you mean by more than 100 courses - you put their names and details in a csv file and add the new course and the group they are in and upload that - you can set it update their details on Moodle-so although you have to add them to the csv file you only upload and do the action once for a new course.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Eli Peli -
As I said: I have two grade of pupils: 7th and 8th. In each of these class is near 120 pupils per grade (class). I created two categories, and now inside each of categories I continue to make courses, units... but I dislike individual enrollment of pupils to courses, units... I would like to be able to make this process more easier, for example during registration of pupils create some special group, called e.g. class7 and in same time enroll particular pupils to this group. During enrollment pupils to the category and courses, its more faster to enroll only group called class7, as single item, than to do it 120 times for each pupils from this grade. That's what I need to solve.
In reply to Eli Peli

by Mary Cooch -
I see what you mean. You are wanting the sitewide groups feature which, hopefully, ight be available in Moodle 2.0 but is not available now. In the meantime...
If you make a blank group in a course -called class 7 for example -then you can
add a fields in a csv file called course1 and group1
Then for each user that is in the spreadsheet/csv file you type/copy/paste the shortname of your course under course1 and the name of the group (eg class7) under group1
Then when you upload the spreadsheet as a csv file the students will be put into the course (or courses because you can do it for more than one course) and straight into the groups.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Eli Peli -
Thank you. I'm now deep in the job with proper national translation and also in making some critical lessons, and as soon as I get enough time, I'll give a try to your solution. I hope it will works.