Is it possible to have a global file space?

Is it possible to have a global file space?

by AA E -
Number of replies: 8
Is it possible to have a global file space where any course can link to the same files without each course having to move/copy the files into their own file section? Thanks.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to AA E

Re: Is it possible to have a global file space?

by Lev Abramov -
one of the course creators in our company has recently asked me the same question. I'd appreciate the answer.
In reply to AA E

by Sami Cooper -
I would also like a reply to this.

The idea behind a global file space would be that there is a single central space separated into folders (categories) which is shared between all courses. This would mean the you could create links to any uploaded material from any course. This would also mean that courses that use the same resources only have to upload the file once, rather than separately for each course (which is a waste of time and space).

I am quite surprised that this is not a feature? It makes complete sense.

Sami
In reply to Sami Cooper

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Have a look at the idea of a Metacourse -that might be helpful
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Sami Cooper -
I pondered this idea once before.

The idea is that you have a global MetaCourse, with every other course becoming a child course?
Are you able to link to a file in the MetaCourse from the child course then?

Sami
In reply to Sami Cooper

by Sami Cooper -
I have just created a metacourse and added several child courses.
When I access a child course I am unable to link to any files found on the MetaCourse, any ideas why?
In reply to Sami Cooper

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
How are you trying to link to them? You can't get to them via the child course - you have to go to the metacourse, copy the url of the file you want in your course and then go back and paste it in.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Sami Cooper -
Right ok. I Thought that was what you had to do.
I am after a more elegant solution. One where the course editor clicks on Administration block and opens File and then can choose a category and link to the files within that.
Or something along those lines.
In reply to Sami Cooper

by Mary Cooch -
There will be suitable possibilities for that in Moodle 2.0 -but that's not out yet!smile