Hotpot (plugin)

Picture of Nicholas Charles Hogg
hot potatoes in Moodle

HELP!!
I have been merrily putting my Hot Potatoes exercises on my moodle site and up to a few minutes ago everything was going smoothly. Now for some reason I cannot upload anything else or rather when press the upload button to specify the file I want to upload nothing happens.
Can anyone think why.
Thanks very much
Nick Hogg

Average of ratings: -
G. Grow
Re: hot potatoes in Moodle

Are you clicking the "Browse" button when you want to find files to upload?

You use the "Upload" button after you have found the file by using the Browse button.

IHTH,

Gerald

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of carol r

Hello,

I've experienced the same thing as the person above. I've uploaded Hot Potatoes quizzes for years and never had a problem until now. Has something changed in Moodle in the last couple of weeks that might cause a problem with Hot Potatoes? (I'm importing Hot Potatoes format quiz questions, not simply uploading the Hot Potatoes exercise. Using Firefox v. 3.03, Windows XP.)

Picture of Gordon Bateson
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Translators
Do you mean you are importing questions from a Hot Potatoes quiz file onto the Moodle question bank?

There was a problem with that a few weeks ago, but it is fixed in the latest version of Moodle 1.9.

Otherwise, please set Moodle debugging, Site administration -> Server -> Debugging, to "Developer", and on the same page enable "display error messages", then try again and let us know if you get any more info on the screen about what is happening.

thanks
Gordon

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of carol r

Yes, I am importing questions from a Hot Potatoes quiz file onto the Moodle question bank. We are hosted by Moodlerooms, so I'll have to wait until our staff gets back from the holiday vacation to contact them (unless of course any of the Moodlerooms staff is monitoring this! smile). Thank you for the information.

Picture of carol r

My interim work around is to save the HotPotatoes quiz in "WebCT format", (a text file) and to upload that. It works for multiple choice and short answer, but not for JCLOZE- the absolute best way of making a cloze quiz in Moodle.

Thanks for your help and happy new year!

Hi Carol,
happy new year to you too!

You are welcome to try importing a JCloze into the latest Moodle 1.9 on my test server. If it works there you can be sure that as long as Moodle is up-to-date on your server, it is not Moodle or HotPot which is blocking the file upload.

If you can't do the import on my server, please send me the JCloze file so I can get the import working.

thanks
Gordon

Picture of carol r

Thank you. I will try that. Then, next week I can verify our version with the server folks (we're hosted at Moodlerooms - so it all depends on whether or not we've been updated).

Picture of carol r

Hi Gordon,
Wow, it didn't work on your server either. This is the error message:

Parsing questions from import file.
Input file not recognized as a Hot Potatoes XML file

On our server, I only see:

Parsing questions from import file.

I'll send you the file.

Apologies if this appears rather basic, but could I just check that you are trying to import from a Hot Potatoes XML file, i.e. a jcl, jcw, jmt, jmx or jqz file, and *not* an html file ?

thanks
Gordon

Thanks for sending the jcl file Carol. I will investigate ...
  • ... it loads OK when I "Import from file already in course files..."
  • ... it loads OK when I "Import from file upload..."
... so there is no problem for me when importing this file (see screenshot)

I have a feeling that there is something on your PC or on your network that thinks this jcl file is evil for some reason and blocks your attempt to upload it to Moodle.

Please could you try again on my server using "Import from file already in course files..."? Your file is in "cr/simone.jcl" in the Files folder for that course.

thanks
Gordon

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators
Gordon - I am following this at a distance and with interest - finding it quite intriguing...

I tried "Import from file upload..." again with IE8, and although I got a javascript error (see screenshot), the import was successful. Puzzling thoughtful

Digging a little deeper, I found the the javascript function in which the error occurs:

function validate_question_import_form_format(element) {
/* ... */
var frm = element.parentNode;

while (frm && frm.nodeName.toUpperCase() != "FORM") {
frm = frm.parentNode;
}

/* next line is line 197 */
for (var i = 0; i < frm.elements.length; i++) {
/* ... */
}

/* ... */
}

This javascript code is generated by the following files:

• lib/pear/Html/QuickForm/DHTMLRulesTableless.php (around line 166)
  • lib/pear/Html/QuickForm/RuleRegistry.php (around line 213)

It looks like there is a small problem with this script, namely if it can't can't find a form it carries on regardless whereas it should stop.

I don't know if the javascript error is preventing your browser from completing the upload, but it is a possibility - in my mind at least.

Carol, what browser are you using?

Gordon

Picture of carol r

Hi Gordon,

I tried importing to your course again, this time on a mac (OS 10.4.11) using Firefox 3.0.17 and it worked.

I tried it in our moodle instance and it did not work. So, I think it must be our Moodle. Something must have changed between the end of Nov, early Dec and late Dec. Our staff will be back this week, and I'll ask them to contact Moodlerooms (our hosts).

It is strange that everything worked before, and now none of the Hot Potatoes works in our Moodle. Thank you for all your assistance.

Moodlerooms, if you follow this thread, please let me know if there have been any changes in our instance recently!

thank you all and happy new year.

Carol

P.S. I just upgraded my browser to Firefox 3.5.7 - with the same results to my course "Parsing questions from import file." It must be our moodle.

G. Grow

Now that you mention it, I do recall times when I could not upload Hot Potatoes files, using the regular Moodle Browse/Upload method. I got a message something like, No Such File Found.

I do not know whether the upload problem included other types of files as well. Next time it occurs, I'll experiment with uploading other file types.

In those times, I logged into the server directly and sent the files up via FTP. As long as I had this workaround, I never thought of it as a problem to solve.

I just assumed it was a temporary condition either in the server or on my Mac. It had not occurred to me this might be a problem with Moodle.

Picture of Marina Koutsou
Απάντηση: hot potatoes in Moodle

Hello,

I have the same problem as Nicholas above. I can't insert the hotpotaoes file as an activity to moodle. When i chose "Add an activity, hotpotaoes quiz", i click on upload button, no browse button uppear and nothing happens. In the left corner of the screen appears  a small yellow triangle error message.

I try it from different pc's, but not result. Although the administrator of the site can upload these files. I have the role of teacher and i can manage  any other form of files.

Thanks

Marina

Picture of Jeff Finnan
Re: Απάντηση: hot potatoes in Moodle

What browser are you using? IE can be finicky sometimes.

Picture of Marina Koutsou
Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: hot potatoes in Moodle

Hi Jeff,

i usually use IE. I tried with googlechrome and is working  fine now.

Many Thanks,

Marina

Thanks Marina,

> In the left corner of the screen appears a small yellow triangle error message.

It seems there was a Javascript error when the page was loading, which then prevented the popup window from appearing.

Please could you let me know the following information:

1. were you "adding" or "updating" a HotPot activity?
  2. what version of IE are you using? e.g. IE6? IE7? IE8?
    IE -> Help -> About Internet Explorer
  3. what version of Moodle are you using? e.g. 1.8.7? 1.9.6?
    How do I find my Moodle version?

I have been unable to reproduce the error on my Moodle sites. Could I possibly come and have a look at your site?

thanks in advance
Gordon

Picture of carol r

we're using Moodle version 1.9.7 (Build 20091126)

FYI, my server is currently Moodle 1.9.7+ (20091201). It could well be that the small difference in version number makes a big difference in the HotPot imports, because as far as I can remember that crucial changes to the import script were made in early Dec.

Gordon

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
Picture of carol r

Thanks! I'm sure that is the problem. The dates correspond with the moment I was no longer able to upload the Hot Potatoes items.

I've sent our staff and Moodlerooms the info. I'm hoping for a quick upgrade so I can be ready for the first day of classes on Jan.19.

Thank you so much for all your time, expertise, and interest.

Carol

Picture of carol r

Moodlerooms is asking us if there is a Moodle Tracker number for that fix?

Do you happen to know? I can't seem to find anything in Moodle tracker that matches that date and don't want to give them bad info.

Sure. The actual tracker issue is:
  • MDL-20810: Import questions hotpot
    (see comment from me on 08/Dec/09 12:10 PM)
And the following issues are also relevant:
  • MDL-20299: Fatal error when attempting to import questions
  • MDL-21008: Using absenting function hotpot_charcode_to_utf8 in question/format/hotpot/format.php
Gordon