Extra Credit points - Help please!!

Extra Credit points - Help please!!

by Karla Bright -
Number of replies: 4

I have one of our instructors who has set up his grade book using weighted mean of grades. He would like to give some students extra credit up to 5 points. How should this be weighted to give the students the full 5 points.  Each time we give it any weight it drops the students grade. Even putting in a 1.00 in the weight column drops the student from a 92 to a 39.

Thank you,
Karla

In reply to Karla Bright

Re: Extra Credit points - Help please!!

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Karla,

Does your installation allows grades to go over 100%?
Weighted Mean aggregation type will not give you an option to mark some assignment to be Extra Credit (in categories in items).

If you cannot switch to another aggregation method, you can potentially go to the Grader report and override some grade item there manually, by adding 5 points to those who need extra points. But this may not work for you, if you have different weights for different assignments. (screenshot of C&I interface would help)

In reply to Karla Bright

by Itamar Tzadok -
Or you can place all the weighted items in a category which will take care of the weighted calc and add a grade item for the extra credit which you can update manually, and then make the course total sum of grades (categery + item). smile
In reply to Karla Bright

by Edwinna Lucyk -

Karla,

I use a simple weighted mean aggregation, i.e. total earned points/total possible points.  I have handled extra credit in two ways:

1. When the extra credit was associated with a specific activity, ex. extra credit points on a particular test, I went into the gradebook, turned editing on and typed the number of points I wanted.  NOTE: The site admin needs to choose the option that will allow entering points above the maximum. 
  2. When I have given an extra credit assignment, that some students may do and others not, I created an offline assignment called "extra credit" and set it up for 5 points.
    I went into the gradebook then clicked the "categories and items" tab.
    Then I clicked "full view".
    I put a check mark in the extra credit box for the "extra credit" assignment, saved the changes and went back into grader view.
    I entered the 5 points for those students who should have the extra credit.
    The 5 points was added to the numerator for those students.  The denominator was not affected.

I believe these methods works for weighted mean aggregation as well. 

Edwinna

In reply to Edwinna Lucyk

by Karla Bright -

Thank you all for your help!!  Sorry I did not reply sooner - I have been out sick.

I am going to send a link to the discussion to the instructor so that he can try it.

Have a very happy holiday!!!
Karla