Editing Categories and Items

Editing Categories and Items

by Adedayo Akande -
Number of replies: 3
I'm attempting to follow a tutorial on editing categories and items to enable teachers to manually enter grades. Where is this option?

I went to Gradebook and expected to see a label that says "edit" where I could select "Categories and Items".

Moodle 1.9.7
In reply to Adedayo Akande

Re: Editing Categories and Items

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi,

Teachers can manually enter grades in the grader report - just follow the grades link in the course admin block, then click the 'Turn editing on' button.
In reply to Adedayo Akande

by Neil S -
You might first need to 'add an item' that can be graded...

There are two ways you can accomplish this...

The first is to go to the gradebook...
- click on the categories and items tab
- click the button to add a grade item and save it
- then go back to the view tab
- click the turn editing on button (usually top right)
- enter your grades and save them..

The second method involves adding an assignment to the course which automatically adds a column to the gradebook for that item. I like to add an 'offline activity' if in fact that's what the students are doing. I prefer this method (over the one above) because I like to present the students with more than 'just a grade'.

Take care,
Neil
In reply to Neil S

by Paul Tannahill -
There seems to have been some changes to the Gradebook since I created these two tutorial screencasts two months ago:

The "Choose an Action..." dropdown menus in the Grades area of the courses on my hosted Moodle system no longer include a way to edit categories and items. I can edit an existing item or category, but can't seem to find how to add a new grade item or category.

Surely I'm missing something simple that's actually right in front of my eyes, right?