Video clip then quiz

Video clip then quiz

by James Jameson -
Number of replies: 15

Currently we have a quiz that is given out after a member of staff has watched a DVD.

I have uploaded this quiz onto moodle. I have converted the dvd into a .wmv file.

How can I make this .wmv run within moodle and then the quiz follow (prefereably the quiz would follow automatically but something like a "click here" to start the quiz button would be acceptable as well).

Can someone explain to me possible solutions in really simple terms.

Cheers,

James

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Jameson

Re: Video clip then quiz

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
(greetings from Lancashire wink ) Why not include the wmv file in your quiz as the first section of it? If it's a wmv make sure you have multimedia filters enabled in site admin (so you get wmvs in their own player) and then when you make your quiz for your first question select the "description" type. This just gives you a text box (html editor) like here where you can add information about your quiz. So type in a few blank spaces, select these with your cursor,click on the "link" icon and then make it link to the wmv you will have uploaded to your course. When you have saved this question it will show a player like youtube with your wmv in. Make your other questions as normal and then when people click on your quiz they will first see and watch the video and then be presented with the questions. If the video player is too small then at the end of its url (in the url box of the popup when you click on the link icon) just add to the end of it (after wmv) ?=700x500 or whatever numbers you want to be the size of your video.
Average of ratings:Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by James Jameson -

Mary - Your an absolute star, it works like a charm.

Joseph/Mary - Admittedly they can view the video again which is a small issue, but restrictive time limits on quizzes will/should mean that they can't keep reverting to the video for answers.

Sorry to ask for more of your time but on a different note. Is it possible to have a quiz with the answers Yes and No (which I could do using true or false questions or multiple choice questions) and a comment box.

Example question  - Is Moodle a useful tool
Example Answer    - Yes(Yes/No tick box)     
                         - Because of its intuitive interface(Comment Box)

Cheers for both your time.

James

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
James,
You can't have a question with a "double answer". You might try the Cloze question type.
Is the example you give a "real" one? It looks more like a survey-type of question, for which I'd recommend using the Survey or the Questionnaire plugins.
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by James Jameson -

Cheers for your speedy response Joseph.

Would the Survey or Questionnaire plugin allow me to set a question with a double answer, or would there still be limitations on that?

James.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Do you want to set up a quiz-type activity, where some answers are correct, whereas others are wrong OR a survey-type activity, where there is no notion of correctness? It would help if you posted a few sample questions that you have in mind...
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by James Jameson -

Cheers for sticking with me (This question type is a request from the training department and therefore is not something I have tried to do in my use of Moodle so far).

Some of the sample questions they have given me are:

>  Question - Have you recieved equipment training in the last 3 years.
       Possible answers - Yes/No     and a Comment section

>  Question - Have you practised the skills given in the last training session
       Answer -  Yes/No    and a comment section

Basically the idea is that the end users can say (e.g. for question 2);
Answer = No.(Yes/No)     The training didn't really apply to my job role.(Comment).

So in answer to the question there is not really a notion of correctness.

Therefore would one of the other plugins be more suitable (If so which one do you think would be more suited to my needs out of the "survey or questionnaire plugins")?

Again thank you for your time and fast responses.

James

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
This to me sounds like a job for the questionnaire modulesmile

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi James,

From the example questions you posted it is clear that the Moodle Quiz activity is not the best suited to your needs. I suggest using either the Feedback or the Questionnaire plugin. You can download both on the Modules and plugins page.

Neither is part of standard Moodle current version (1.9). The feedback module will be part of the future Moodle 2.0 version; the Questionnaire module has more features than Feedback (at the moment) but will not be part of Moodle core distribution in the near future. I'd recommend installing both on your test site and trying them out to find out the most suitable for your needs.

You can find help on the Feedback and Questionnaire forums.

ATB

Joseph

PS.- "Cheers for sticking with me..."approve

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi James,

Here's where you can find Questionnaire and Feedback, the most frequently used survey modules. Questionnaire is more complete, Feedback is easier to learn to use. The built in Survey module isn't very practical: you can only ask one question at a time.

Cheers,
Glenys
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by James Jameson -

As a reply at the end of the thread to all of you.

Thank you very much for your help. I shall download and test both the Questionnaire and Feedback modules, and see which one I prefer and hopefully keep you posted.

Cheers,

James

by James Jameson -

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who posted in this forum and helped me to develop a solution.

The feedback module did exactly what I wanted with the question structure. When I get a chance I will test the questionnaire plugin I will. For now though just to display that Moodle can support this question type will make the training departments Christmas.

Cheers guys and girls.

Merry Christmas.

James

by Joseph Rézeau -
James,
Do you want the "students" to be able to view the video more than once, as they are answering the quiz questions? Or just once, then answer the questions?

by James Jameson -

Cheers to you both.

Mary - Greetings from Cheshire. I will give those instructions a go and try uploading the video in the HTML Editor at the start and then report back upon my success or failure.

Joseph - I would prefer for the quiz to show the video only once - testing the users on what they just watched.

Cheers guys.

James

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi James,

Glad you've found the solution you're looking for. Just one thing has occurred to me but if all your users are using MS Internet Explorer, then it probably won't matter. If a user's browser hasn't got the WMV player plugin installed, their browser will most probably force a download and then prompt the user to find an appropriate media player for it. It could send some users around in circles and be frustrating for them.

If this does happen, then the solution is to deploy your videos as FLV (Flash video) instead.It's relatively easy to do as Moodle's media filters can automatically detect FLV files and deploy them with a built-in Flash video player (JW FLV Player). Something like 99% percent of video on the net is shown via Flash players these days.

Hopefully, this'll save you some stress if the worst does come to the worst.

All the best,

Matt
In reply to Matt Bury

by James Jameson -

Cheers Matt. Because the application is for internal use it shouldn't matter.

However I will keep this in mind if I produce anything that will be going external.

Merry Christmas.

James