Problem: Some course edit buttons not appearing for Teacher role after restore?!?

Problem: Some course edit buttons not appearing for Teacher role after restore?!?

by Abraham Ott -
Number of replies: 4
Ok, I've got a weird problem that I haven't run into before. In Moodle 1.9.5+ (Build 20091009) I backup/restored a course in the same Moodle site in order to start a new course (it needed many of the same elements). The backup and restore seemed to go fine.

Now, however, when my Teachers go in and turn on editing, some of the elements in the course don't have edit buttons. However, when I login as Admin, I get all the edit buttons. The vast majority of the course elements do have edit buttons for Teachers -- so far, I've counted 3 labels, 1 linked pdf, 3 linked Word docs, and 3 Moodle quizzes with no edit buttons out of dozens of each.

I've also noticed one hidden linked Word doc that does not appear for the Teachers, but does for Admin.

Some points:
-- The error strikes randomly, however, it only happens in Topics 3 & 4 out of 8
-- The source course works just fine

Any ideas on what this could be, and how to fix it?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Abraham Ott

Re: Problem: Some course edit buttons not appearing for Teacher role after restore?!?

by Abraham Ott -
Oh, also, when I'm logged in as an Admin, but I use the "Switch Role to..." feature to switch my role to Teacher, everything works correctly.
In reply to Abraham Ott

Re: Problem: Some course edit buttons not appearing for Teacher role after restore?!?

by ben reynolds -
Are you using groups & groupings? This kind of behavior sometimes happens to people who aren't in a group and thus aren't assigned to the resource.
In reply to ben reynolds

by Abraham Ott -
I'm not using any groups or groupings, so that can't be it. It really strikes me that it seems like the permissions for those specific elements either didn't get recorded correctly, or didn't get recorded at all. I'm going to try to poke through the database and see if anything comes up in that area. It could be that some kind of a hiccup in writing to the db occurred.

With that in mind, I decided to do a fresh backup and fresh restore, to see it would have the same problem a second time. It didn't -- everything works correctly, as it should!

Fortunately, that solves my immediate problem. We'd only just begun development on that course, so it's easy to start over. It does concern me for the future a bit, though. Our delivery model is heavily dependent on backup/restore so I hope this won't be a recurring problem.

Thanks for your help!
In reply to Abraham Ott

by ben reynolds -
Let's keep this topic going in case something "interesting" happens.