Student specific mentors

Student specific mentors

wót Paul Dean -
Anzahl Antworten: 3
I'm just now setting up my first course (good work on the system guys and gals!). What I want is for each student to have a specific mentor/teacher for a specific course. This person will then be able to grade the student's narrative responses and give feedback but wouldn't have access to all students of that course, just the students that he or she is mentoring. The role is like a student-limited non-editing teacher.

First question - I don't think it can handle that without me doing some coding...?

The rest of my site could register and enroll students through direct database access, associate mentors and allow mentors to grade narrative questions (without allowing them any teacher access to Moodle itself). I wonder if it would be best for me to just code that entirely outside of the Moodle code? Would I be in danger of wrecking caches and data integrity if the wider site interferes with the moodle database on that level?

thanks!
Paul

Als Antwort auf Paul Dean

Re: Student specific mentors

wót Helen Foster -
Nutzerbild von Core developers Nutzerbild von Documentation writers Nutzerbild von Moodle HQ Nutzerbild von Particularly helpful Moodlers Nutzerbild von Plugin developers Nutzerbild von Testers Nutzerbild von Translators
Hi Paul,

A possible non-coding solution would be to set your course to separate groups, assign each mentor the role of non-editing teacher, then organise students into groups so that each group has just one student and the mentor.
Als Antwort auf Helen Foster

wót Paul Dean -
Oh thanks! That sounds like a better solution; I will investigate groups.
Als Antwort auf Paul Dean

wót ben reynolds -
Following behind Helen, I'm just adding that groupings also might be needed. They restrict resources (in Moodle jargon) so that a grouping doesn't see the work of other groupings.

I'm not sure why this is so.