Problems installing the questionnaire module

Problems installing the questionnaire module

by Tom Connolly -
Number of replies: 12
I have uploaded the files to my server and then went to follow the following directions (I found these in the wiki):

Go to:

Site Administration
 Notifications
 Continue

After "notifications" I cannot find "continue" and am getting the following error message:

Module "css" is not readable - check permissions
Module "db" is not readable - check permissions
Module "images" is not readable - check permissions
Module "lang" is not readable - check permissions
Module "questionnaire" is not readable - check permissions
Module "questiontypes" is not readable - check permissions

What simple step am I overlooking?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tom Connolly

Re: Problems installing the questionnaire module

by David Willington -
Hi

It looks like a permissions problem on your server. I'd check that the folders in the /mod/ directory of your moodle installation (on linux might be something like /var/www/html/moodle/mod/ or on windows perhaps c:\moodle\mod\ but they could be anywhere on the server) can be read by the webserver running moodle. If you're not sure about what this means I'd send the error messages to whoever is providing your moodle hosting and ask them to check the file permissions on your moodle installation

Hope this helps

David
In reply to David Willington

by Tom Connolly -
Yes, I checked with my provider and they said that there no permission issues - as far as they know of. They checked the scripts and a couple of other things and cannot find any issues external to Moodle.

I made a folder in the folder for all of the other modules called questionnaire and then copied the folders and files that came out of the zipped file I downloaded. I then went to Moodle as an admin and followed the steps but could not find the 3rd step that was listed in this forum on how to install it. I am guessing that has something to do with permissions.

This is what I found on your instructions page:

Site Administration
 Notifications
 Continue
I go to site admin, notifications....but then cannot find the 3rd step. I am using 1.9.5 if that makes any difference.
In reply to Tom Connolly

by David Willington -
I don't know anything about your provider, but I'd keep looking at file permissions on the server. If you're set up with a cheap and cheerful provider they may have set up the site so that you've got ftp access and your ftp user has permission to write to the filesystem, hence you can upload them but moodle can't access them as it runs as a different user. Do those other modules work on the site? if they do then moodle must be able to read the files and the error message is misleading. Does the rest of the moodle installation work? I've used the questionnaire module without any problems and the error message is pointing to a permissions problem on the server I can't think of anything else that it's likely to be, so if there's any doubt in your mind about the hosting provider I'd get back onto them.

What sort of access do you have to your hosting? If it's a linux server and you've got shell access we can see very easily what the permissions are. If you've got ftp access we might be able to find out what the permissions are.

Have you tried installing another module? Do any others go up easily? Even if they did in the past, it may be that your hosting provider has reconfigured the server with new permissions that get in the way of installing modules.

If you can let me have more information about your setup then i might be able to offer something more specific

All the best

David
In reply to David Willington

by Tom Connolly -
Thanks! I have webhosting with Bluehost. It is not a dedicated Moodle provider. They provide support only for installation issues. I have found them to be pretty helpful and knowledgeable in the past, however, and am asking for more assistance now.

It is a linux server. I am just getting in to Moodle now but have not had any other issues before this. I am still concerned about the fact that I cannot do step three on the instructions I found on the moodle.org site to install the module.
In reply to Tom Connolly

by David Willington -
The error message looks like you've got underlying problems. I've usually found that modules install very easily; upload the files and go to the notifications area. It's possible that you've got a buggy questionnaire module, but I still think it's more likely a permissions problem on the server. Like I said, I've not had a problem with the questionnaire module and I've used it a fair amount.

Is the rest of your moodle installation working properly? If you upload a random tile (eg test.txt) to the modules directory, can you access it with your browser, ie

http://your.moodle.domain/mod/test.txt

If you can't see it then it confirms the suspicions about it being a permissions problem.

In your ftp client, can you see file permissions, and are they consistent in the /mod/ directory across different modules

Are the other modules working (the ones moodle has flagged up permissions problems for)?

All the best

David
In reply to Tom Connolly

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Tom "I made a folder in the folder for all of the other modules called questionnaire and then copied the folders and files that came out of the zipped file I downloaded."
This is not very clear to me. You should not "make a folder called questionnaire", as the folder enclosed in the zip file you download from the modules and plugins already has such a folder named "questionnaire".
Can you check the exact structure of your moodle folders on your moodle site now. You should have the following structure (see attached Windows explorer screen dump).
Maybe you have a questionnaire folder within a questionnaire folder?
Joseph

Attachment image00.jpg
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Tom Connolly -
Going from bad to worse! Since I had errors from my install I thought "I'll just delete the folder and move on with life - use the quiz module this time". Now I get the following errors:

Module css: /home4/hischop1/public_html/moodle/mod/css/version.php was not readable
Module db: /home4/hischop1/public_html/moodle/mod/db/version.php was not readable
Module images: /home4/hischop1/public_html/moodle/mod/images/version.php was not readable
Module lang: /home4/hischop1/public_html/moodle/mod/lang/version.php was not readable
Module questiontypes: /home4/hischop1/public_html/moodle/mod/questiontypes/version.php was not readable

My questions:

1. How can I turn the display of these error messages off?

2. Are there errors likely to affect the use of the quiz module?

I have 4 more weeks of class till the semester is over, then 6 weeks of vacation to wade through this. I am in the survival mode now...

In reply to Tom Connolly

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Tom,

You did not answer my previous message re the current organization of your moodle/mod folder...

From the error messages you quote it is obvious that you installed the questionnaire module in the wrong place to start with. Those messages tell you that moodle is now looking for moodle/mod/css/version.php; moodle/mod/css/images.php; moodle/mod//images/questiontypes.php files which of course do not exist there and should never have been there. You probably unzipped the questionnaire files to the wrong place in the first place.

What can you do now?

Logged in as admin, go to Modules/Manage Activities. If the Questionnaire module still shows up there, click on the Delete link.

Check the contents of your moodle/mod/ folder for any unwanted files there.

If this does not work, you may have to look into your Moodle database, using phpMyAdmin. In the mdl_modules table, if Questionnaire is still there, delete it.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Tom Connolly -
Yes, it looked like the tree structure you included in your post. I will follow up on what you have suggested. In the meantime...is there any way to turn the error messages off?

In reply to Tom Connolly

by Joseph Rézeau -
Administration ► Server ► Debugging
Debug messages NONE: Do not show any errors or warnings
In reply to Tom Connolly

problemas de instalacion webquest

by ESPECIALIZACION PRONAFCAP-UPEU -

Hola buenos dias.

Estoy aprendiendo a usar el webques y al momento de agregar el modulo en la carpeta mod sale los siquientes mensajes: 

Module "db" is not readable - check permissions
Module "lang" is not readable - check permissions
puede alguien ayudarme
In reply to ESPECIALIZACION PRONAFCAP-UPEU

Re: problemas de instalacion webquest

by Joseph Rézeau -

Sorry, but this is an English-speaking forum. Please post your message in English.

Joseph