'Assign User Role' permission

'Assign User Role' permission

by Mitch Stone -
Number of replies: 2
I am using Moodle 1.9.5.

I want to create a new role, kind of a local admin - someone who can create courses, add/edit users, and be able to assign the student (or local admin) role to new users.

As administrator, I went to Site Administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles, created the new role "Local Admin", and started adding what I thought was the appropriate permissions. I've managed to create a role that can add/edit courses and add/edit users, but cannot assign roles to those users, either in the System context or User context - both the Roles and Users columns are empty. The role does not have the "Create and manage roles" permission (moodle/role:manage under System), because I don't want them creating new roles or modifying existing ones. The role does have the "Assign roles to users" (moodle/role:assign under Course). I have tried turning on the former, but still no access. Is there some other permission this role needs to have? I've looked over the permissions lists, and checked the on-line documentation for those that seem to be related, but nothing seems to work. What am I missing here?

Thanks!
Mitch

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mitch Stone

Re: 'Assign User Role' permission

by Randy Orwin -
Hi Mitch,

It looks like you need to tell Moodle which roles your new role can actually assign. Go to Site Administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles and click on the "Allow role assignments" tab. Find your "Local Admin" role on the left and then tick the boxes in the columns of the roles that you want this role to be able to assign. I think this might make the difference. Good luck.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mitch Stone

Re: 'Assign User Role' permission

by Mitch Stone -
Ahhh!! That did indeed do the trick.

So, what's the point of assigning to one role the capability of doing something that affects another role, but then you still have to tell Moodle to allow it?!?

Thanks, Randy!

--Mitch