User Tracking

User Tracking

by David Banes -
Number of replies: 5
Ive been asked by an organisation to find out how they can track the following for individual users - any good ideas ?

- how long each member is on the site

- which modules people access

- time spend on each module

Any ideas much appreciated

David Banes

(Edited by Mary Cooch to remove Word formatting)- original submission Saturday, 12 December 2009, 03:44 PM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Banes

Re: User Tracking

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
First, do not write questions in Word then copy them, makes for a messy question...big grin

You can activate statistics, but it can slow your site a bit.

Go to Administration Server Statistics and turn statistics on.

This will provide you with some detailed information, graphs and so on, but there is a penalty.

One solution can be to write your own SQL to gather what data you need. If you go to the database, using phpMyAdmin, the very first item under the toolbar in the left column, should read Moodle (227) or something similar. This will give you a complete overview of the database, and a data dictionary. Use them to determine what information you can gather.

Not an easy solution I admit, but this allows you the total control over what you want and how you can get it. You are not relying on what someone else has done to get a bit of data, then something else to get another bit and then you cobble them together. There is any number of tools you can access if you want to do this without knowing any SQL btw.. Crystal Reports comes to mind in Windows and I am sure you can do something in phpMyAdmin if you know how to use that in any environment.
In reply to David Banes

by Robert Brenstein -
One has to first ask whether this is a good idea at all.

Regarding which modules are actively used -- it is not clear whether you need statistics for which module instances are actually used by end users or which module types are actually used by teachers. These are quite different questions. The former will be affected by latter.

Regarding how long each member is on the site and time is spent in each module - those are bogus questions and you normally can't provide numbers that are meaningful. If you search forums, you find several discussions explaining as to why. Basically, Moodle logs certain user actions but what they really mean is not ascertainable.
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by David Banes -
The customer is interested in User stats as opposed to teacher stats

I think what they are trying to work out is whether the investment in a moodle setup has been worthwhile, how much time is spent on what modules is one piece of data they are interested in so that they can see what volume of activity has taken place

Like you im not convinced but its a question they asked

Thanks for cleaning up text

David
In reply to David Banes

by Michael Dean -

I'd like to reactivate this topic.

We are transferring our Induction to Moodle.  Our previous implementation via Sharepoint could tell us how long a user had spent in the module. Legally we use this to "cover our bums".  A user spoending 2m on a manual handling portion is either a super learner, or fudging it.

I'd llike to track this stuff!

Cheers,

michael

In reply to Michael Dean

by Andrew Davis -

See above for how to turn on statistics. Also, have you considered getting people to do a quiz to assess whether they've learnt the material? Time spent in a module seems a fairly arbitrary and also easy to fake statistic ie open module, go get a coffee. It seems like some sort of assessment would be preferable and with a quiz that assessment process can be completely automated.