Does "Each attempt builds on the last" work?

Does "Each attempt builds on the last" work?

by Peter Evans -
Number of replies: 8

According to the documentation (below) this should allow a student to partially do a quiz and submit it and then return to it (showing the completed questions) to complete the unanswered questions.  Does it work like this?

I understand that this does not work correctly with ESSAY questions. Does it work with multiple choice and true/false questions? What circumstances does it either work or not work?

The options I am using are:

• Attempts UNLIMITED
  • Each Attempt builds on the last YES
  • Adaptive mode YES
  • Grading method LAST ATTEMPT (but have tired all)
  • Apply penalties NO

Any assistance gratefully received.

PeterEvans

If multiple attempts are allowed and this setting is set to Yes, then each new attempt contains the results of the previous attempt. This allows a quiz to be completed over several attempts.

To show a fresh quiz on every attempt, select No for this setting.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Evans

Re: Does "Each attempt builds on the last" work?

by Itamar Tzadok -

Does it work like this?

Oh yeah!

If you disable Adaptive mode subsequent attempts still preserve previous responses but do not indicate which responses are correct. The student will have to review previous attempts for that (assuming that score is available after the attempt).

smile

In reply to Peter Evans

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Using both Adaptive mode and Each attempt builds on last seems really weird to me.

Adaptive mode lets the student repeated try each question until they get it right within one attempt.

EABOL lets students repeatedly try each question until they get it right by using multiple attempts.

Decide which you want, then set that option.

EABOL does work for essays if the teacher grades the responses between each student attempt, otherwise it is buggy. Grading method won't make any difference.
In reply to Tim Hunt

ADAPTIVE mode and EACH ATTEMPT BUILDS on the last

by Peter Evans -

The quiz is not really a quiz but rather an orientation that provides a structured introduction to all the tools in the Moodle environment. Basically we want to ensure that students are aware of all the tools and we don't want any student to launch an appeal at the end of the course claiming that they were not aware of a tool that might have helped them to succeed in the course.

Thus we want:

• adaptive mode allowing multiple attempts at the same question as people will find out more about each tool from the feedback that is given to them
  • build on previous attempts so previous correct answers to be shown and people can do the items they did not complete
  • the review so they can use it as a checklist
  • tracking into the Moodle gradebook so we can contact the people who have not done or completed the quiz

Elements of QUIZ (with adaptive mode and building on previous attempt) and LESSON provide all these features ... but as so often in life none provide all.

MY core question is can I use adaptive mode AND the answers to the previous previously answered questions?

Peter

In reply to Peter Evans

Re: ADAPTIVE mode and EACH ATTEMPT BUILDS on the last

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It think the answer is yes, as long as you are not using essay questions.
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: ADAPTIVE mode and EACH ATTEMPT BUILDS on the last

by Claire Browne -

Is using EABOL and Adaptive quiz fixed in Moodle 2.0?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Claire Browne -

I get an error message when I have my quizzes in EABOL turned on.

It returns a error message saying 'Could not restore question session'.

In reply to Claire Browne

by Tim Hunt -

First make sure the database is OK How to check your database for corruption

Then, go to the review page, and make sure you can review the attempt you are trying to build on, before actually trying to start the new attempt.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Claire Browne -

Hello Tim,

I found that one of my students had submitted work for Marking, the teacher marked it and then he wanted to carry on with that attempt to correct his mistakes.

Thats when the error was thrown.

Is there anyway of doing that? for example

student fills out the quiz, submits for marking

teachers marks it and then the student continues with his last attempt with his teachers marks on the page?