FAQ: table of contents

FAQ: table of contents

by Ulrike Albers -
Number of replies: 14

Hallo,

I would like to create a glossary FAQ with a table of contents (like in the Moodle FAQ for exemple, or better with a table of contents linking to each article).

I tried it creating categories but that didn't work out (there's no conts shown on first page).

Does anybody know how I have to proceed ?

Thank you...!

Ulrike

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ulrike Albers

Re: FAQ: table of contents

by Paula Clough -

It's a little hard to say with  minimal info.  You might have better luck with a database... there is a way to have a list on the "view all" page and then users can see the individual articles in the single view page.  That way the View all page would look like a table of contents and would automatically add to the list as new entries are added.

cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Ulrike Albers -

Hallo Paula,

Thank you for your answer.

What information do you need ?

Ulrike

by Ulrike Albers -

Hallo,

Can anybody tell me wether it is possible to create a table of contents ?

Thanks for any help...

Ulrike

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Ulrike,
Maybe you did not get many answers because it is not clear to us what you want. What do you call a "table of contents"? What would it look like? For me any document can have, annexed to it, a glossary and a table of contents, etc. But I cannot visualize what the "table of contents of a glossary" might look like. Please provide some concrete examples.
Joseph
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Ulrike Albers -

Hallo Joseph,

I'm sorry I wasn't clear...maybe it has to be "summary" in English (sommaire), I join the image of the one in Moodle.org...

I mean links that point to the different articles of the FAQ, on the top of the page...so that users have an immediate idea of what they can find there

Thank you for helping me !!

Ulrike

Attachment faq.jpg

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Ulrike,

Thanks for your answer but I must stay I still am not quite sure what you want to do.

If you put all the FAQ questions of your FAQ Glossary in different categories, then you can display them by categories by clicking on the Browse by category tab.

The closest I can think to a "table of contents" is setting your Glossary to Entry list and telling your students to click the Browse by category tab (see attached screenshot).

Is that what you want?

Joseph

PS.- If any other Glossary user understands what Ulrike wants, please help us.

Attachment image00.jpg
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Ulrike Albers -

Hallo Joseph,

Thank you a lot for answering - I'm really sorry about not being clear sad

Thank you for your solution too but it would mean I have to explain every time (in 4 languages) that they have to click on the category tab first, and they have to read that and to do one bothering click which they might just not do...

Maybe I should I start my question another way:

I suppose that the FAQ on moodle.org (the image I put) is done with the glossary FAQ module.

• If yes, how did they do their summary/table of contents (what you see on the picture) ?
  • If no, what tool have they used ?

I hope that is clearer...wide eyes

Ulrike

PS: I join an image to see what the first page of my FAQ looks like

Attachment glossFAQ.jpg

by Mauno Korpelainen -
Docs and that FAQ page ( http://docs.moodle.org/en/Category:FAQ ) are done with Mediawiki - not with moodle at all...
In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Ulrike Albers -

Oooooooooh k I understand ! Thank you Mauno !

That changes everything, thank you for that answer....so I suppose that there's no easy way to have a summary...

Well, if anybody has an idea, I would be grateful for your suggestions..

I'm going to look if I can use mediawiki too

Ulrike

by Frank Ralf -
Hi Ulrike,

You might have a look at Database activity module FAQ as the Database activity module provides more customizable views (list and single entry) for your data than the Glossary module (see Database templates) - as Paula has already suggested.

hth
Frank
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Ulrike Albers -

Hallo,

Thank you for your help. I'm trying out the database...

Ulrike

by Paula Clough -

Ulrike,

The picture helps.  Thanks.

I believe that that is really a webpage contenting with links to other webpages.  Perhaps one of the others who has more experience will be able to tell you. 

Just brainstorming here:

You might be able to build such a thing in the description box in the glossary with some html programing, but I haven't had much luck with doing that many links myself.

You might find a database will work better for you.  I have seen some lists on the first page that could be put in order with a coded field and the alpha view turned on.  The kind of list view I'm talking about is like the one I have attached. It's from the MOODLE Exchange SCORM Exchange.   You would also have more freedom with fields you want in the postings. You also have the ability to have a List view and a single view.  In this sample it may have been modified to show just a few of the fields. Clicking on the the first field takes you to the single view of that entry.

Perhaps some others have better ideas than I do.

Attachment database.png
In reply to Paula Clough

by Ulrike Albers -

Thank you for your help Paula.

If there's no easier solution, I will try that.

Ulrike

In reply to Paula Clough

by Tobias Sanders -

Hi there,

just a thought for the Moodle Glossary development team:

A TOC like Ulrike suggested or just a simple list containing the questions would REALLY be a useful feature for the Glossary FAQ in Moodle 2.0.

Unexperienced users can't handle the database activity module to create a FAQ.

Best regards

Tobias