How do outcomes display for a student?

How do outcomes display for a student?

by Peter Seaman -
Number of replies: 2
This is the first time I've posted to the gradebook forum, so I hope you gradebook vets will go easy on me! Also I've done the requisite 15 minutes of searching past forum discussions and not found the answer. And if there's a better place to talk about outcomes, please let me know. I'm using Moodle 1.9 (1.9.6 is our latest update, I believe).

I've been having great fun playing around with outcomes in Moodle. I've used the "Goals tool" in Blackboard CE quite a lot and have found it wanting in many respects. One thing I've always wanted is to be able to say to students, "This activity addresses the following learning outcomes," and it appears Moodle does this by allowing the teacher to check a box that associates an activity with a particular outcome. That feature seems very nice.

What I'm wondering now is whether the outcome displays in any way *other* than the grade book. In other words, if I choose not to grade using the scale associated with an outcome, do the students see the outcomes in any other way? Or do I simply have to state in, say, the intro to an assignment, "This assignment addresses the following outcomes"? Seems as though it would be nice to have the outcomes show up in the assignment itself, and not just the gradebook. Bb CE has something like this, in that it allows the instructor to attach a "grading form" to each assignment. The grading form is simply an online form that the instructor fills out and sends back to the student. The score from the form gets dumped into the grade book. But the grading form is not associated in any way with the institutional or course outcomes!

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I'd be very grateful for any guidance on this issue.

Peter
In reply to Peter Seaman

Re: How do outcomes display for a student?

by Peter Seaman -
Oh dear! - I find myself replying to my own post, wishing someone else out there would lend me her/his wisdom on this issue. I'm used to getting lightning-quick responses from Tim Hunt and colleagues in the quiz forum. If my query is way too basic, I'd be grateful if someone could point me to the relevant documentation. Thanks. - Peter
In reply to Peter Seaman

Re: How do outcomes display for a student?

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Peter, from what I know students do not see outcomes anywhere.
I totally agree with you that having some kind of a grading rubric would be very beneficial.