Gradebook

Picture of grant mcwilliams
Course total not showing

I'm at the end of my rope. Sometimes in older releases of Moodle things were so simple and every time I update they get harder.

I'm using Moodle 1.9.6+ (because of an affliction to having the latest) and in the gradebook my course total no longer shows up.

This is my setup.

Course - Computer Science 125 = Weighted mean of grades
Aggregate only non-empty grades = checked
Aggregate including sub categories checked
Include outcomes in aggregation = checked

Category - labs = Simple weighted mean of grades
Weight 80
Category total 100

Category - quizzes = Simple weighted mean of grades
Weight 5
Category total 100

Category - Finals = Simple weighted mean of grades
Simple weighted mean of grades
Weight 15
Category total 100

Category - Extra Credit = Mean of Grades (With extra credit)
Category total 5

Category - Reading Assignments = Simple weighted mean of grades
Weight 0
Category total 0

Course total 100

I think it's clear that I want labs to be 80% of the grade, Quizzes 5% and the Finals 15% and only aggregate the non-empty grades.

I also have an extra credit category that I'm not sure is set up properly. This used to be really easy in older Moodle versions but after spending two days googling I'm still not positive it works here.

My Reading Assignments category isn't graded so I've given it a weight of 0.

Conclusion: In the User Report for one user all of the categories total just fine but the Course doesn't total at all...

AggregationCategory total 97.27 % 0.00–100.00 97.27 %

AggregationCourse total - 0.00–100.00 -

Any ideas about why this doesn't work? Does it only total the entire course after it's finished? I noticed that in the Finals category also is not totaled but that makes sense since they've not taken their final yet.

Grant

Picture of Jeff Odachowski
Re: Course total not showing

Grant,

Depending on your theme the color may vary with in you theme but look closely for a box a line in it, right next to Name of your Course. They have changed the way to view the grade book from the grader report by using this.

let me know if you need more help. I am still discovering the new tricks for the gradde for version 1.9.6+ as well.

By the way is are all of you columns lining up properly. Ours are shifted to the right when you switch roles from admin to teacher or course creator.

jeff
Picture of Karla Bright

Try unchecking the aggregate including subcategories.  

That's it? After 6 years of using Moodle I was ready to throw in the towel and move over to Blackboard since the College already pays for it.

Can someone explain to my why Aggregating including subcategories would keep the gradebook from totally the course total? Is this intended or a bug?

BTW Karla you just saved me.

Grant
Elena
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers
Hi Grant, its a feature, so one can aggregate grades in all subcategories excluding other aggregated grades.
But it does not need to be activated for an installation.
To avoid confusion among our faculty we have set it to No and hided it on the admin level.

So the aggregate subcategories restricts the total from being aggregated???

From the help,
"The aggregation is usually done only with immediate children, it is also possible to aggregate grades in all subcategories excluding other aggregated grades"

In my opinion this is totally counter-intuitive. Logic says that if I click a button that says "aggregate subcategories" and I do that on the main category (the course) and I do it on all the categories it should aggregate all categories and ALL their subcategories. This is nothing more than simple recursion.

Using the Aggregate Subcategories checkbox to NOT aggregate categories seems a bit odd to me.

Maybe it was intended to work this way but the idea needs to be submitted as a bug!

Turning off Aggregation in Subcategories does what I want.

Just so I can understand this I did a few tests.

Test 1
Aggregating including subcategories turned on in the Course
Aggregating including subcategories turned off in all subcategories
Aggregate only non empty grades turned off everywhere.

Categories ARE totaled
Course IS NOT totaled

Test 2
Aggregating including subcategories turned on in the Course
Aggregating including subcategories turned on in all subcategories

Categories ARE totaled
Course IS NOT totaled

Test 3
Aggregating including subcategories turned off in the Course
Aggregating including subcategories turned on in all subcategories

Categories ARE totaled
Course IS totaled

Test 4
Aggregating including subcategories turned off in the Course
Aggregating including subcategories turned off in all subcategories

Categories ARE totaled
Course IS totaled

Conclusion: This is not an "Aggregate Subcategories" button but a "Do Not Aggregate Categories" button or maybe it should be a "Aggregate Subcategories Only" button.

Wouldn't it make more sense if the "Aggregate Subcategories" button aggregated all subcategories (and not calling a category a sub-category of the course is splitting hairs) and in each category we could check a "Do not include in course total" button? It seems like this is what it does but having a button "add" in one context and "not add" in another doesn't make a lot of sense.

Grant
Picture of James Sick

Has any progress been made on this issue? Currently, I'm using version 1.9.10+ and NONE of the combinations that Grant tested above result in the course grade being calculated. That is, categories are calculated but the course total is not, regardless of whether aggregate subcategories are checked or unchecked.

Picture of Karla Bright

Glad to help -  I stumbled on it one day when I was trying to figure out why I could not get it to calculate the course total. 

Well, thanks then. I love Moodle and the development environment behind it but at the end of the day I just need to get my work done. We came very near dropping Moodle over this. If we have to manually grade then we'll use something else. If I have one complaint (and I do) against Moodle is the interface leaves a lot to be desired. Someone needs to do usability testing on it in a bad way. I've been using it for 6 years and honestly it's a tool to me so I only want to know what I need to know to do my job. Ironically 100% of my classes have to do with Open Source and programming.

Grant
Picture of Lauren Nicandri

I am having the same issue of the course total not showing. Unfortunately, the 'Aggregate Including Subcategories' boxes are already unchecked.

The gradebook is set to have each category be set to 'Simple weighted mean' and the overall course is set to 'Weighted Mean'.

I have attempted this setup in another Moodle course and it worked fine.

Any ideas?
Elena
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers
Hi Lauren, It would help for us to see the screenshot of your Categories and Items interface.
Picture of Sean Dagony-Clark

Lauren, I just encountered a very similar problem. If you haven't figured it out yet, try hiding and re-showing the category totals in question. Worked for me just now. Go figure.
Picture of Jon Melvin

I had the same problem and the issue was that an assignment was hidden, and in the (admin login) Site Admiinistration -> Grades -> Report Settings -> User report -> Hide totals if they contain hidden items was set to Hide.  I changed it and the totals show up.  Why was one of the quizzes hidden?  I don't yet know.  My conjecture is that is because it is in the future and no questions have been added to it yet.

Picture of James Sick

Thanks Jon. I did have hidden assignments that were used in previous terms, but not this term. Their weight was set to zero, so I thought it would pose no problem. The grades totalled as soon as I made ALL assignments visible. I'll check with administrators to see if the setting can be changed.

Picture of Sadiq Kariapper

I had a similar problem (course total not showing), and hiding re-showing the the course total did the trick!

Looks like a bug?

Richard Samson

We are using Moodle 2.4.5.

We have had similar issues with Course Totals sometimes not showing.

In the Categories and Items Simple view, we Hide the total, Save changes, Show the total, Save changes, and magically the Course Total appears in the User report.

It's very disconcerting and we haven't yet been able to pin down in what precise situation this happens. 

Various hypotheses... 

Does it only happen with the Weighted mean of grades aggregation? The jury is out.

Picture of Bob Puffer
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

This was the standard workaround for this issue, toggle the hide button twice.

Richard Samson

Ok, that's fine as far as it goes.

But is this a bug? An issue is a bug, isn't it?

I can't see any open tracker item on this "issue".

Why not?

Should I try to open one?

Thanks for your interest.

Picture of Bob Puffer

This is not a bug going forward so I don't believe a tracker item is necessary.

Richard Samson

Thanks for the further feedback, Bob.

Please tell me what you mean by "not an issue going forward".

Do you mean that this issue has or will be solved in future versions? Starting at which versions?

Richard

Picture of Bob Puffer

I'm not seeing it in 2.5.3 or 2.6

Picture of Sharon Birch

We're new to Moodle, and I ran into this and did everything suggested here and nothing worked.  Then I finally stumbled on that little toggle button that toggle between only showing item grades, only showing aggregates, or showing both.

Picture of Caroline Moore

I was having the same problem: all of my grade item columns had grades in them, and category totals were displaying properly, but the Course Total column was blank.

I tried all of the various solutions listed here, and none of them worked.

Finally, I discovered the problem: on the Categories and Items tab, the little lock icon next to Course Total was locked instead of open. I clicked it, and once it was open, the Course Total column was populated correctly.

Picture of Lisa Lane

This response was super helpful.

I also discovered (in both 1.9 and 2.0) that I must use Grade -> Settings - course -> User report -> show totals excluding hidden items (because I have hidden things I'm not using on the list).

If I leave the default, I see no total.