What is an "ungraded attempt"? The numbers don't add up

What is an "ungraded attempt"? The numbers don't add up

by N Hansen -
Number of replies: 2
I am using 1.9.7. I click on manual grading for a particular quiz (which allows only one attempt per student) and I look at the dropdown list for the items that need grading. I see for one "7/10 attempts graded." I select this one.

I see two choices, "Grade all 10 attempts" and "Grade 3 ungraded attempts." I see 7 students listed on the page, all the ones I have graded. I know that there are no students, past or present, who I have NOT graded on this item.

I click on "Grade all 10 attempts." It says at the top of the page that appears, "All 7 attempts on this question." It lists the same 7 attempts, and only 7 attempts.

I click on "Grade 3 ungraded attempts" and I get a page that says "There are no attempts to show."

So what are those 3 ungraded attempts? Can someone point me to how that number is calculated so I can see if there is something hidden away in the db that is giving this nonsense number?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to N Hansen

Re: What is an "ungraded attempt"? The numbers don't add up

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Looks like you may have found a bug.

I wonder if it is getting confused about preview attempts you did as a teacher. It is meant to never count those, but it may be in some places but not others. If you can work out how to reproduce this situation starting from scratch, please put it in the tracker.

(The other thing to try, if you have the know-how, might be to look in the quiz_attempts table in the database, and see what is there.)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: What is an "ungraded attempt"? The numbers don't add up

by N Hansen -
There are absolutely no previews stored in my db so it can't be that.

Wouldn't it actually be question_states though that is used to generate these numbers and possibly in particular the event field? And if so what would it be looking for in that field?

Before when I was using 1.6 there was a bug at the time that required I go in and manually change this field from time to time when students would accidentally wipe out their answers in order to restore them.