Performance

Performance

by Pete Littlewood -
Number of replies: 3

Hi.

We're a FE college in the UK and have a pretty new moodle settup, moodle is great but we're having performance problems, at times(to us random, but obviously not) it can take 45 secs or so to respond.

We are running it on a Windows NT settup, the moodle installation was the standard one using EasyPHP with Apache etc.

The server spec is:

GigaByte 7NNXP motherboard with Dual Pwer System
AMD 3200XP Processor
2 x 250Gig Hard Drives in a RAID Mirror configuration
512meg Dual Channel DDR 400 Memory
1000Base Network connection 

We have put all our 1900 full time students on but at the moment only about 20 courses exist and the maximum number of concurrent users so far is only about 25, this is going to increase a lot over the next year or so.

Any advice on this would be great

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pete Littlewood

Re: Performance

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
That's not a huge amount of memory for a server machine. Is it a real server machine? Have you sat and watched the performance monitor thing to see if you are running out of memory or processor headroom? How are your disks partitioned - is the C: drive running out of space? Are you serving any audio or video or suchlike. And...much less likely..have you been hacked or hit with a denial of service attack??

EasyPHP is only, supposedly, for testing... I would seriously consider switching to Linux for a production Moodle. Just my $00.02 and/or usual rant however.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Pete Littlewood -
The memory on the server only ever gets to 240meg used, and CPU sits between 1-10% utilisation normally then every so often perhaps every couple of minutes it has a peek for a second or two at 80-100%, however, I'm not sure the peeks are anything to do with the general responsiveness.
In reply to Pete Littlewood

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yeh, you know if a machine has bogged down completely - the cpu utilization goes to 100% and stays. Not that then... Can you check network activity - are you running out of bandwidth? I would still like to check the remote possibility of a Trojan or something having got onto the machine - I *have* seen it happen more than once!