XMLD Editor Table Name length limits

XMLD Editor Table Name length limits

by Davo Smith -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if there is a particular reason why the XMLDB Editor limits table names to 28 characters?

I ask because I've generally been hand-editing my install.xml files (at the same time as editing the mysql.sql, mysql.php (for 1.8 compatibility) and upgrade.php files) and when I tried to load them into the Editor it refused to parse them as several of my table names exceed the 28 character limit (quite reasonably in my case, as by the time I've included the name of the module 'assignment' and the name of my plugin '_uploadpdf_', I only need 8 more characters to get over the 28).

What I really want to know is: will this cause any problems other than making the XMLDB Editor complain? (Which I can work around by hacking my local copy of /moodle/lib/xmldb/xmldb.xsd).

If it won't cause any problems, I'm going to leave my table names as they are, as I don't really fancy changing all the names after it has been deployed at an unknown number of sites.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Davo Smith

Re: XMLD Editor Table Name length limits

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes. Very good reason.

Oracle only treats the first 30 characters in table names as significant, and you have to allow at least two for the prefix (m_).
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: XMLD Editor Table Name length limits

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
OK, that would be fairly serious for anyone who was running an Oracle back end.

Looks like I've got a big 'search and replace' job on my hands...