SCORM course and front page permissions

SCORM course and front page permissions

by Mitch Stone -
Number of replies: 3
Hello all,

I want to create a role that allows someone to add/edit courses, and most specifically create SCORM courses (add SCORM activity to a course). After specifically allowing all the "Create a course", "Manage files", "Edit/Manage lesson activities", the only permission that I've found that allows adding the SCORM activity is the "Update course settings" (moodle/course:update). Unfortunately, this also turns on the "Front Page settings" which I don't want the role to be able to do.

Is there a way to disable the "Front Page settings" for this role and still be able to edit actual courses (adding SCORM)?

I am using Moodle 1.9.5+ (Build: 20090916)

Thanks in advance,
Mitch
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mitch Stone

Re: SCORM course and front page permissions

by Randy Orwin -
Hi Mitch,

Where did you assign your new role? If you assigned it as a system role then that means that it will have access to the main site course allowing front page settings. Could you just assign the role at the category level? I think that would make it so the front page settings aren't activated.
In reply to Randy Orwin

by Mitch Stone -
Hey Randy,

I've assigned all the permissions via the Administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles page. I haven't a clue how to assign permissions at the category level. I've looked through all the links under Administration > Courses > Course default settings, but didn't find anything there either. And the Administration > Modules > Activities > SCORM/AICC page has its various preferences and default settings, but has nothing that I can see about permissions/roles.

Any chance you can point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
In reply to Mitch Stone

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Mitch. I might have got this wrong here but it seems to me you are making things more complicated than they need be - don't you just want to give someone the ability to add and edit courses and particularly add SCORM activities to them? Do you only want them to be able to add SCORM activites and nothing else? Or are you happy for them to have editing rights in other areas?if it is the latter - You need the Course Creator role which is already made for you in Moodle (instead of making a new one) Then go to the category where you want them to be able to add courses - you should have an "assign roles" link top right here - assign them the role of course creator there. As long as there is a course already in that category when they log in they will get an add course button in that category. When they are creating a course they will need to assign themselved the role of teacher in the course (you're meant to be a teacher automatically in a course if you're a course creator but I've found it doesn't always seem to be the case) Then they can add SCORM either as a course format when setting up the course or else as an activity in the course. If it is the former -you only want them to be able to add SCORM and nothing else (don't you trust them? smile ) then post back and we will think again.