SSL Entire Moodle Site Issues

SSL Entire Moodle Site Issues

by GFS Office of Technology Support -
Number of replies: 3
I received a mandate from the powers that be that our Moodle site needs to be secured because we use it for student grades and all kinds of other private things. To that end I went and got an SSL Certificate. First some background:

Our server is running on Windows 2008 R2 with IIS 7, MySQL and PHP via FastCGI.

In IIS I added the certificate and added the binding for the site. However, now when you go to try to load the secure site it takes about 2-3 minutes and it loads without any of the visual effects (text only).

I'm totally stumped. I've contacted the developer of the Theme we're using and he says that there's nothing in the Theme coding that could be breaking this. What am I missing?!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to GFS Office of Technology Support

Re: SSL Entire Moodle Site Issues

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Have you updated $CFG->wwwroot in the config.php file. Also, you may need to use the admin/replace.php script to update all the URLs in the database.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Dale Davies -
I never knew about that "admin/replace.php" script!
In reply to GFS Office of Technology Support

by GFS Office of Technology Support -
Okay.. well some of this is my own stupidity. I didn't correctly update the config.php. Got that working great.... 2 new issues popped up...

1. Sporadically, when a user clicks "Turn editing on" it dumps them back out to the Login page. Doesn't happen for every class or every teacher. When I turn SSL off, it starts functioning normally.
  2. All "normal" users login using "FirstClass Authentication." Admin user authenticates against the MySQL database. With SSL on, "normal" users can login just fine. The Admin user takes about 2 minutes to log in. With SSL off, "normal" users and "admin" can both login normally.

Thoughts?

Louis

PS - Thank you so much to those who replied. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.