by Tom Ventresco -
Number of replies: 8
Never had a problem before...
My LAMP environment...
RH 7.3 with yum updated
Apache 1.3.29 compiled via Apachetoolbox
MySQL - 3.23.58
PHP 4.3.6
This is an existing install with many other MySQL/PHP apps running.

Via .tgz at the root of my web server I extract the tar

1.)  tar -zxvf moodle-1.4.1.tgz   extract, extract, extract

2. )  make sure the webserver can see these new files and folders

3.)  via mozilla www.site.com/moodle/

4.)  start the setup process create a config.php  looking good at this point

5.)  define db connection

6.)  Agree to terms YES   

7.)  tables go green and get created and are for sure in the moodle db.

8.)  Bottom of the screen of successfully created tables I get
          Database successfully upgraded  Continue

I have been clicking the heck out of that continue link ;)  nothing. 
I cannot progress.  Typing www.mysite.com/moodle/admin/index.php
yields a blank page.  My moodle database contains 42 tables.

I have went 777...zip
installed into db as root...zip
installed as root ( linux)
installed as root of webserver owner ( my linux user)...zip
changed 'admin' to 'moodleadmin' and moved the admin files to correct path...zip
manually created a config.php...zip
I have used the .zip moodle download unzipped it and ftp'ed it to the web server and tried it...zip

Any ideas ?  I used to do this in about 60 seconds with older Moodle installs.
I must be missing something new.  I hope it is not my webserver.  I Apache 2.x still scares me and MySQL 4.x does as well.  This webserver install has run nearly every version of Moodle for the last 2.5 years.  What's up ?

Please undertand I am not complaining.  I will use an older moodle if needed.

Thank you for you time and patience,

Tom Ventresco

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tom Ventresco

Re: Install problem...LAMP

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Check the end of the apache error log immediately after this happens. Anything?
In reply to Howard Miller

by Tom Ventresco -
Thank you for your quick reply.

My apache log ( error_log ) shows

"Date  [notice] child pid ( pid number ) exit signal Segmentation fault (11)"

This error matched the number of clicks.  Rats ! smile smile  Good thinking.

The writing on the wall says update my LAMP Install... double rats !  This is a php / apache issue yes ?  I am going to try an older version of moodle.
I am sorta attached to this install...running since 1998 or so with web stuff updates via Apachetoolbox...  I thought Apache 2.0.x was still young and most places were not using it in critical areas. 

Thank you for your time,

Tom Ventresco

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes - it's a PHP/Apache issue, and a major pain to sort out. If you don't believe me do a Google for that error message smile

The quickest is to update your LAMP install certainly. Just get an up to date distro and install it quite frankly, almost guaranteed to sort you out for a morning's work (hopefully)

I think Apache 2 is ok. We use it with no problems at all. We have just upgraded to SuSE 9.1 and it works well (so far).

by Matt (M) -
For what it's worth...

I highly recommend using XAMPP as a means to "abstract" Apache-Mysql-PHP (AMP) "platform" management. XAMPP (aka "LAMPP" on Linux systems) is a cross-OS (Linux, Windows, Solaris, maybe more?) AMP "platform" that I'm using to easily port all my AMP-based (as well as just Apache- and or mysql-based) applications across multiple systems I manage with heterogeneous platforms. Furthermore, I find that all their configs (I've run various levels from 1.4.5 to 1.4.9a) are all rather stable and have many other nice features. In short, I can't imagine running a web server without it.

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

I find XAMPP *extremely* easy to install and non-intrusive to the installed systems. Everything is contained in one directory, and on Windows there are not registry edits! In short, it's done the way I would do it if I were making such a package...and I'm rather picky about these things. wink

I am running a couple Windows-based Moodle servers right now on XAMPP 1.4.5+.

I will be installing a Moodle server on LAMPP (the Linux flavor of XAMPP) 1.4.9a shortly (I think).

There are other AMP "packages"; I have a hotscripts.com link somewhere to them, let me know if you want it.

The last conversation I had with Martin D (the head cheese for Moodle) suggested that he may prefer having XAMPP be the recommended "single-source-type" install reference (I find it better then EasyPHP, the current reference in the Moodle docs). He asked that I write a soup-to-nuts install doc for users (and probably to build an autonomous-moodle-server package for ourselves), and I plan on basing it on XAMPP.

-Matt

by Thomas Haynes -
I am running Apache 2, and the machine averaged over 19,000 hits a day last month. Apache 2 seems to be working pretty well for me.

I am using Whitebox Enterprise Linux with a minimal installation and Zend Optimizer. The price is right...
In reply to Thomas Haynes

by Tom Ventresco -
Hi,
Thanks for the solid advice.  I am not in love with my old LAMP install...well maybe that's not true smile  she has been soooo faithful to me.  Apachetoolbox has been a solid learning project for me...I kinda hate to ditch it.  Ohhhh I see a new release of apache 1.3.31.  I gotta try it first.  XXAMP looks really promising also.  I am going to try ATB 1.5.72 with moodle 1.4.1  and I will report back.
www.apachetoolbox.com.  ATB is a script which compiles static modules into Apache ( and Dynamic) including PHP and mod_perl.  I use mod_layout also.
I plan to check out Whitebox also ( never heard of that one.)

Thanks for the help and advice,
Tom Ventresco

by Matt (M) -
We all have our faithful "companions" in our systems-building world. wink

Here's the link to the aforementioned hotscripts.com list of prepackaged solutions, many of which I think are "AMP" based:

http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Software_and_Servers/Installation_Kits/index.html

-Matt
In reply to Matt (M)

by Tom Ventresco -
Thanks guys,
xampp it is.
Problems solved. Never fixed my 1.3.31 install.

Moodle working fine.

Tom V.