Resources for building Themes for 2.0

Resources for building Themes for 2.0

by Layne Heiny -
Number of replies: 8
Hello,

I'm very new to Moodle 1.9.x and 2.0 but upgraded a live site to 2.0 so I could use the new quiz features. I'm very impressed and glad to have done the upgrade.

Now I'm just trying to clean up some issues with the theme. I'm using power-of-science from Themza and most of the theme works. There are some places, though, that stretch outside the 928px fixed width (e.g. grade reports).

Are there resources for developing themes for 2.0 - with examples. I ask because the Themes documentation is for the 1.x and I didn't find anything about 2.x

Am I looking in the wrong place?

In advance - thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Layne Heiny

Re: Resources for building Themes for 2.0

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Layne,

some people are crazy, updating a live site to 2.0 today is one of the craziest things I red since long time.

2.0. is not yet beta. Its developer stuff with lots of features that are not yet fully implemented, some features are disabled you'll need for a live site.

If you can go back to the old version do it now. Today. Don't wait.

ralf
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Layne Heiny -
Ralf -

The site is live but is not mission critical. The kids are from a digital academy class - and love to see new developments. The update was a great chance to see something new. The new quiz features are worth the effort. I've tripped over a few issues with groups but nothing to get worried about ...

Now - about my questions for resources - are any links available?
In reply to Layne Heiny

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Most of the new aspects for theme developments aren't implemented yet.
In reply to Layne Heiny

by Frank Ralf -
Hi Layne,

As Ralf pointed out correctly most theme related stuff regarding Moodle 2.0 is still work in progress.

You might have a look at Development:Theme engines for Moodle? as a starting point.

hth
Frank
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Layne Heiny -
Frank,

Thank you for the link. It was helpful to see the presented ideas.
In reply to Layne Heiny

by Layne Heiny -
After doing some tinkering, the "stretch" of the theme is due to the settings block pushing items to the right. If this block could be hidden then the block would not cause the problem.
Attachment stretch.PNG
In reply to Layne Heiny

by Frank Ralf -
Why don't you just make the header stretch across the whole window? Looks like there's room enough. You could make the fixed width more flexible by using min-width: instead of width:

CSS FAQ and Themes FAQ are good starting points for learning more about CSS and theming.

hth
Frank
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Layne Heiny -
Thank you for the suggestion. I decided to change the settings for the settings block and moved it out of the left block area. This fixed the problem and all is working well.