Enrollment Key By-Passes Paypal payment

Enrollment Key By-Passes Paypal payment

by John Langlois -
Number of replies: 7
We have a course that we want to require an enrollment key for and also use Paypal to collect course tuition.

The Paypal form (moodle/course/enrol.php?id=4) has a field that requests the enrollment key and a button labeled "Enroll me in this course."

If a student provides the key and clicks the button, he is promptly enrolled in the course without ever having to pay for it.

Is there a flag we need to set that would require that both key and payment be satisfied?

As an alternative, can we remove the button and process the enrollment key via the ipn.php page when the student returns from paypal?

Who writes these modules? I would have expected an elementary need such as this to have been built years ago.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Langlois

Re: Enrollment Key By-Passes Paypal payment

by Sandra King -
Why do you need to be able to lock someone out of the course even if they have paid?

The idea behind the key is to allow someone in who either paid through a non moodle method or who wasn't required to pay.

If you want, you could have a non-moodle paypal purchasing screen and then manually enroll the student into Moodle, of course that would be very time consuming if many students are expected to enroll.

Sandra
In reply to Sandra King

by Ann-Marie Gilbert -
I am attempting to resolve the enrollment key bypass of paypal as well.
We use paypal as the payment processor. As earlier stated, this page also requires the enrollment key.
Here is the dilemma -
  • If students have the key before paying, they can simply enter the key, this bypasses paypal and do not have to pay.
  • If students do not have the key and attempt to pay, they are not allowed to pay, as they need the key.

I would have to make the key available to everyone so that students could enrol and pay. However, giving the key in advance means that anyone can get into the course without paying.

Or am I completely out to lunch on this one? Any ideas/feedback/comments appreciated

thanks
Ann-Marie

In reply to Sandra King

Re: Enrollment Key Multiples

by Tim Bristol -

Hi, I sell a book with a unique code in each book.  I can't figure out how to make that the enrollment key for the person wanting to login.

They buy the book and must come into Moodle to get the test questions.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

In reply to Tim Bristol

Re: Enrollment Key Multiples

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Ok - you posted the same question to two forums so I will answer on just this one forum. You have 3000 books with 3000 separate codes? You need to go to your Moodle course, making sure that in its settings it has groups enabled and has any random enrolment key. Then go to the course admin block and click on groups and then create groups - you need to make 3000 groups - doesn't matter what they are called - and put a separate code in each one as its enrolment key. That way, each user when they get access to that course will have to type in their own specific code as the enrolment key to get in.
At least -that's the only way I can currently see to do it smile
In reply to Sandra King

by Diana Jeater -

I also need to be able to restrict who enrols on a course AND I want them to pay.

It seems that I can either allow any Tom, Dick or Harry on our Moodle site to pay with Payapl to enrol, OR I can restrict who enrols with an enrolment key, but then I can't get them to pay with Paypal.

This really isn't very satisfactory...

Any ideas out there?

In reply to Diana Jeater

by Albert Leatherman -

Bump. I'd like to be able to have users use Paypal AND a group enrollment key (see https://docs.moodle.org/27/en/Enrolment_key#Setting_a_group_enrolment_key) to enroll in a course so they're automatically placed in a certain group within the course (to facilitate restricted access to activities in the course by group). Is this possible? Thanks.

In reply to Albert Leatherman

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Not possible as far as I know.  I would think you might need to incorporate with some other site that would then handle the payment part or perhaps you could hide the course somehow until they were ready to enrol...