first item in a scale with sum aggregation

first item in a scale with sum aggregation

by Fritz Richter -
Number of replies: 4
Hi all,

I want to rate postings in a forum with a scale like "0 points, 1 point, 2 points, n ponits" and sum up all points of each participant. The first item of the scale "0 points" however, is obviously valued as 1 using sum aggregation with this scale.

Is there a way to define that the first scale item is valued as 0. Thanks for your help.

Best Fritz
In reply to Fritz Richter

Re: first item in a scale with sum aggregation

by Rod Spears -
Fritz,

You really don't need to create a scale. Use the built in 100 point scale. If you want to make each post worth 5 points, choose 5 from the drop down list. If you want it to be worth 20 points, choose 20. Then you will have the option of rating the forum 0-n.
In reply to Rod Spears

by Fritz Richter -
thanks Rob for your support,

basically you are right and I have already thought about this, however the output of this default scale (1/20, 2/20 etc.) under a rated forum posting has turned out to be very misleading for my students.

I would prefer an output like "0 points, 1 point etc." for each posting without displaying the maximum score of the whole activity.

Do you have any idea to get this? Maybe there is a way to change the display of the default scale.

Thanks for your help,

best Fritz

In reply to Fritz Richter

by Praveena K -
moreover,is there any possibility by which i can grade 2.5 if i have selected 3 fromt he drop down of grades?
In reply to Praveena K

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Praveena, not really, unless you hack the code. You can always enter such decimal numbers in the gradebook directly, but I do understand that it defeats the purpose.