Answers to quiz in source view

Answers to quiz in source view

by Peter Gibbins -
Number of replies: 6

I am reluctant to use Hot Potatoes with my students because the answers to any quiz I set up are displayed in the source view. 

I teach level 3 / 4 computing (National Diploma / HNC) students who are very capable of accessing this code view.

Is there any simple way of encrypting the answers?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Gibbins

Re: Answers to quiz in source view

by Suzanne Jensen -

Thanks for alerting me to this flaw in the HP system!  I too teach computer and science whizzes, and could have the same problem. Has anyone answered your query?

Another thought: is there any way of disabling the "View Source" ?

In reply to Suzanne Jensen

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Suzanne Jensen

I wrote a long reply to this forum and then pressed the "site popups allowed" button in my Google bar and all was lost! Poignant.

I am sorry to say that I do not think I will have the time to write my post all again. In brief then....

There is no way of preventing viewers seeing the source code (assuming they can use a standard browser) if they try hard.

You can do one of two things, or both....

1) Disable their browser so that it is difficult to select "display source". There is code on these forums for doing this.

2) Encode the source code. There is code for encoding the source code in these forums but it would be difficult to have your whole HP page encoded without considerable hacking - by adding some sort of filter such as is used to encode email addresses.

However
1) If you disable their browser using a popup window, and right click prevention, then the source remains in the cache of the browser.

Additionally you will create problems for students that have popup blockers (as I do!). Please see
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/search.php?search=popup+webct&id=5

2) If you encode the source then (assuming you are letting users use a standard browser) you will have to include the decoding mechanism for the browser to be able to read the source. A computer savvy student will see what is going on.

E.g. one way of encoding the source is to use the sort of technique used by the attached file. (Search for "Rob Butner" on these forums for an example) But your students will be able to find the decoder at this page, among others.

All the same, using a new popup page and encoding would make it difficult to view the source, perhaps more difficult than doing the test, so my vote is to include these measures. If we had a budget then we would be able to pay for these measures to be included in future editions of moodle.

Tim
Takemoto

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Rob Butner -

TIm--

Rob Butner here--- I have new and improved code to produce more secure quizzes----even in Opera--- If you know of a requirement, let me know and I'll get the code to you---- Sorry I havent been around the forums for a while--- I've been involved in new projects--- Take Care---

Rob

I CAN BE RECHED AT THE FOLLOWING EMAIL:

rbutner@recoverythreads.com

In reply to Rob Butner

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
hi Rob,
you new code sounds interesting. Could you elaborate on how it makes the HotPot quizzes more secure.

thanks
Gordon
In reply to Peter Gibbins

by John Rodgers -

Its possible to include the answers to a hotpot in a seperate javascript file (we haven't tried this with moodle), although the answers still end up client side.

It is possible to make this type of highly focussed studying wink harder to perform by using ambiguously named image files in matching and drag and drop exercises.

In reply to John Rodgers

by henny jellema -
I always select to make a seperate javascript and there is no answer to see. It works perfect for me, many years now. The only problem I had was lately on this list when I made this type of exercise:

http://www.digischool.nl/oefenen/hennyjellema/engels/vbo-basic/chapt.7/16.chapt.7.htm

Gordon found out that it didn't work because of the seperate javascript. But in every other exercise it works as it has to do. My students are always very disappointed that they can't find the answers in the html code.

I think you guys should give it another try.

Hgv, Henny.