Periodic Table Quiz

Periodic Table Quiz

by Ms. Spellman -
Number of replies: 5

I am trying to create a table with various information missing that students must fill in. They are required to fill in either the atomic number, element, symbol, proton, neutron or electron.

Any suggestions on how to get this to work? I've beat ny head on the wall for a while.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ms. Spellman

Re: Periodic Table Quiz

by Jeff Forssell -
Hi

Make an embedded (CLOZE) question (Check the documentation!)
Make a little table like this:

Helium
Symbol: He

Atomic No.
No. of Protons
No. of electrons

then go to the places you want the student to fill in and replace with CLOZE expressions. You could try copying this table as a starting point for trying it out.

A CLOZE expression can be
{2:NUMERICAL:=2#RIGHT!}
or with more complicated correction and feedback:
{2:NUMERICAL:=23.8:0.1#Feedback for correct answer 23.8
~%50%23.8:2#Feedback for ½credit near correct answer}

When you put in the expression, especially a longer one, it can look like the table layout will get totally messed up. But when the question is presented it usually will be OK.

It can be a lot of work for one question. But once you have a good model question it is quite easy to make new variants.
When you have one question laid out and working in Preview, just open it for editing and make changes to make a new question and save as a new question! Don't forget to change the name also.

Good Luck!

Jeff

PS: If you have a problem getting the layout the way you want, post a picture of what you would like it to look like.

In reply to Jeff Forssell

by Jeff Forssell -
I tried it out just to make sure it worked. See the included picture. I see that the mouse (which was hovering over the correct answer) wasn't captured in the picture. Don't think that the feedback is connected to the incorrect answer!

By using various HTML parameters one can adjust the alignment and division of a table in all kinds of ways.
Attachment PeriodicTableCLOZE_Question.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Jeff Forssell -
I did some more refining and discovered also that I have placed the isotope indexes on the wrong side of the He blush HiHi

I haven't corrected that in the picture included now either.

Anyhow you can see the "proof of concept" anyhow.
Attachment PeriodicTableCLOZE_QuestionCompact.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Ms. Spellman -
Awesome! Thank you! I've been going around and around with this silly thing. I'll give this a whirl.

by Pierre Pichet -
Jeff ,
You're an artist,
I am always surprised how cloze question can be flexiblesmile.

Pierre
P.S. Being a chemist myself , my comment has a greater significancewink