Hardware question...

Hardware question...

by Ismo Laitila -
Number of replies: 8
Hi there! I'd like to know what are the system requirements and the hardware requirements (ram, mhz/ghz) for Moodle when there are maximium of 20 users at the same time. I have selected Linux RedHat as the operating system, does it change any demands of the hardware requirements?

I thank you already for your anwsers!

And forgive me if there are any grammar or spelling errors. smile

Edit: The users should access the courses from any place any time...
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ismo Laitila

Re: Hardware question...

by Thomas Haynes -
Ismo...

My first Moodle machine was a 300 mhz machine with 128 megs of ram. It worked OK with a class of 15 unless I had them all on at the same time. I got another 128 meg stick of ram, and it would no longer choke. This was running ClarkConnect 1.1 which was a very basic install of RH 7.2 with a couple of admin tools. I had a 3 gig HD on this monster.

I would suggest a retired desktop with an extra stick of ram. I would do a very basic installation of Whitebox Enterprise Linux with no gui to rob cpu cycles. Turn off all the services you don't need. If it is too slow, get more ram.

I suspect my machine above is about the minimum that would work with your class of 20.

Regards...   Tom
In reply to Thomas Haynes

by Ismo Laitila -
Thank you Thomas for your information! That helped a lot. smile

Does Whitebox Enterprise Linux differ much from RedHat? I'm more familiar with RedHat and I'm kinda beginner with Linux operating systems other than RedHat.
In reply to Ismo Laitila

by Thomas Haynes -
Ismo...

Whitebox is Redhat Enterprise Linux rebuilt from source. It is stable, well supported, and it is free as in beer.

I have been very happy with it.

We have three linux servers at school. Two were running ClarkConnect, and 1 was running SME. They are all on Whitebox now.

Regards...   Tom

by Ismo Laitila -
Sounds promising... Does Whitebox require any special skills to use it compared to RedHat or is it almost identical? How about installation?

You have been very huge help to me Thomas so thank you very much!
In reply to Ismo Laitila

by Thomas Haynes -
Ismo...

It is exactly the same as RedHat. Security updates come from the Whitebox server and not the RedHat. I use yum to keep it current instead of up2date, but otherwise it is just a basic install and Webmin.

Regards... Tom

by Ismo Laitila -
I will test Whitebox with Moodle this week. You have been incredible help to me Tom. Thank you.
In reply to Ismo Laitila

by Sam O -

Note that Red Hat introduced $50 US/server educational pricing several months ago for their Enterprise Linux product.

http://www.redhat.com/solutions/industries/education/indiv/

In reply to Sam O

by Thomas Haynes -
Sam...

RHEL does not install on a i586. Whitebox comes with a i586 kernel, etc.

If you are talking low end recycled lab machines with an extra stick of ram for this server, you may very well be on an i586.

I have a AMD K6-2 500 with 384 mb of ram that would make a nice lowend server for a classroom. It is currently running Whitebox, and it runs pretty well.

Regards...   Tom