Windows Server 2008 and Moodle cluster

Windows Server 2008 and Moodle cluster

by Lee Procter -
Number of replies: 3

Does any one have any step-by-step intructions on setting up a moodle cluster on Server 2008?

I have seen a few documents on this for using linux but we want to keep to a Windows platform.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Lee Procter

Re: Windows Server 2008 and Moodle cluster

by Ben Steeples -
Lee,

It's going to be dependent on many factors, what web server are you running (Apache, IIS, etc); what database; how are your files stored, etc? I suspect your first port of call will be looking at Windows NLB (Network Load Balancing), and then things like DFS (Distributed File System).

As a recent linux adopter, I have to say that the linux path is a well documented and supported one. We've got at least 4x the throughput than our single Windows web server, on less hardware than before (2x Dual-Core 1GHz, 1GB RAM; as opposed to 1x Quad Core, 4GB RAM).

In either case, getting a general understanding of how the load balancing works, and how resources are shared between nodes (eg. moodledata), is your starting point; even before you start looking at putting Moodle on to it.

Hope this helps.

Ben
In reply to Ben Steeples

by Lee Procter -

Thanks very much for your reply.

The installation will be on Server 2008, using IIS, MySQL. Basically the following site goes through this install very well:

http://www.gyreconsulting.com/gyre-forum/view-postlist/forum-2-moodle-installation/topic-2-server-2008-iis7-mysql-a-php-setup

I imagine that the iis will be load balanced, the moodle folder will be DFS and the mySQL database replicated.

I have looked at using linux and there are some really good articles on how to set it up. The problem is, no-one here at my work has any knowledge of linux so if there is an issue sometime in the future then it will be very difficult to fix.

Was hoping there would be a similar good article on setting up the Cluster/failover, done the Windows way

Thanks again

In reply to Lee Procter

by Keshwar White -
Hi Lee,

I will be putting up a guide on how to cluster moodle and various other apps shortly. Same site