Students answer lesson questions without limits

Students answer lesson questions without limits

by Johan Sjoblom -
Number of replies: 3

Hi.

I am using Moodle 1.4.1 and I made a lesson consisting of a series of question pages. Each correctly answered question showed the next page etc... Navigation works fine. I did not change the default value of 5 "maximum number of attempts".

However, my students where able to go through the lesson 6, 7, etc times and they still each time had to answer all the questions, over and over and again. This does not seem very practical since the material cannot be used by a student as a "reference" later because the same questions keep popping up as if he/she would not have answered them.

Ideas any one?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Johan Sjoblom

Re: Students answer lesson questions without limits

by Michael Penney -

Check your lesson settings, you probably have "Students can retake" set to on.

Turn that off, and they can only take the lesson one time.

Attempts is a 'per-session' setting, eg the student can be returned to a question x number of times to try again while in a lesson, but once they exit the lesson and come back in, this gets reset.

As for the usefulness as a reference, lesson with questions is more set up as a practice and/or assessment tool than as a reference. You could use our newer version (in CVS), which puts in a left menu of the branch tables, so students can skip questions if they like to.

In standard lesson, you could link your branch tables together for a reference, so students could navigate the branch tables without doing the questions for no grade, or with the questions for a grade. Trouble with that is that if you are using the lesson for an actual grade, make sure you set it to maximum not averagesmile.

In reply to Michael Penney

by Carl Nagle -

Is there a minimum set (or one) file for this newer version (in CVS)?  I'd like to give it a try.  I guess I also need to know which branch or tag to retrieve.  Or is it just "latest"?

In reply to Carl Nagle

by Michael Penney -

Hi Carl, latest should work. If you are running 1.4x it will give you some grief about version numbers, you can set the moodle version in version.php to your version and it will install.

Then you also need the lang file lesson.php from lang/en in the 1.5 CVS.