Outside events.

Outside events.

by Jim Hardy -
Number of replies: 4
I'm trying to find a way to enter scores for exams given in class. Since there is no import feature, I thought that the Outside events resource would do the trick.

Unfortunately, it appears that the the resoure lists students in the order that they registered. There does not appear to be a way to sort by last name and there is no import feature.

My class has 250+ students so trying to enter scores will be a nightmare.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
In reply to Jim Hardy

Re: Outside events.

by Michael Penney -

Hi Jim, the best solution we've found for this in the current Moodle is to break your class up into groups of 50 or so, then use the assignment module to give grades (assignment with all it's feedback windows can take a long while to load for larger classes, so with groups, you can load a group of 50 or so at a time).

There are a couple new version of the gradebook (see the gradebook forum) in  the works, and these both will give the option to create an externally graded item, where you can just enter grades manually in a table.

In reply to Michael Penney

by Jim Hardy -
Thanks for the suggestion but it sounds like I won't be posting exam grades anytime soon.

I did look at the various discussions regarding gradebook and gradebook2 it they are pretty confusing as to which is which and what is or isn't stable. At one point I tried to install gradebook2 on a test system and ended up needing to reinstall moodle.

Hopefully, some day there will be a feature that will import data, just like we can exported it now. As far as I can tell, it is the only thing missing in a very well designed system.
In reply to Jim Hardy

by Michael Penney -

Hi Jim, a beta of our Gradbook (which we'll start calling gradebook 1.5 to avoid confusion with gradebook2smile should be available in a few weeks. Ours doesn't change any grading information, it just provides a new interface to the existing information, so you can install it, test it, uninstall it just by replacing our files with the old ones (or just turn off the advanced features and be back to the regular gradebook).

We intend to provide an external graded item, where grades will be entered manually, though probably not in the first

Importing data is a hard concept to get right, though, the main problem related to adding new grades to automatically graded items like quizzes or lessons, as well as items that maintain their own grade information and comments. The problem is more with how to handle the interface than technical (how to get the grades into the database).

For instance, students take an automatic quiz, which display their grade and maybe (if chosen) a review of the quiz. Then instructor over-rides the quiz grade with one of their own. How is this new information displayed to the student when the quiz shows them what they got on the questions and what their original grade was?

In reply to Michael Penney

by Jim Hardy -
I guess I'll just need to get my students used to the idea that exam scores will not show up with their quiz scores.

The 'Outside Events' resource sounds like the external graded item you are planning. If it would sort students alphabetically, then I've have a reasonable way to enter grades right now.

Then again, some of the default sorting in moodle makes little sense. One example is when you list users. The default is by first name. I don't see the logic in that.