Problems updating pages in Lesson

Problems updating pages in Lesson

by Emma Betts -
Number of replies: 4
Hi All,

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this extremely frustrating problem....

I am currently trying to develop some Lessons. Structurally nothing fancy, just a string of branch tables.

My problem is with editing. Approximately 50% of the time, after I have spend some (considerable) time putting in text, images, changing fonts etc I hit the save page button and get a "page has not been updated" message and get spat completely out of my moodle site.

Also, I'll often get the "page has been updated" message but only half the edits are actually saved. When I go back to the editing page it will tell me I am aligned to the left but when previewing text is centre aligned.

Is there something I am doing to create errors in the script?? Should font changing etc be done after everything in entered??

Is there anything I can do to stop this??

Thanks,
Emma
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Emma Betts

Re: Problems updating pages in Lesson

by Emma Betts -
Hello again,

just started writing/checking in html source......might just solve my problem.

Cheers,
Emma
In reply to Emma Betts

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Emma,
Sounds like you have a couple of things going on. I believe the "Page has not been updated" message could be a time out issue.

If you are doing a copy and paste into the Lesson content area, you could be bringing in lots of underlying code which will give "weird" results when viewing it.

I have had that happen and the Toggle HTML source button was a real eye opener. In some cases there was so much code I could not find my 1 sentence of content smile

I started using important my OO and Word files into Google Docs. Then deal with the formatting there. This seemed to be a lot cleaner in the copy and paste when it came to code and a more consistent WYSIWYG There is the clean word html but that did not help with my OO docs.

Hope you solved your problem(s). Chris
In reply to Chris Collman

by Stuart Mealor -
Yes, I agree with Chris - that timeout is the most likely problem for the page not saving.

Also, copying text directly in can insert unfriendly HTML code, causing the page to break - this would probably be the same in a Label, Web page, or Lesson for example.

If you are dealing with small amounts of text you can actually copy and paste into HTML view - which means no formatting gets copied wink Although it sounds like you might be dealing with large amounts of text if you are getting timeouts.

Stu
In reply to Stuart Mealor

by Emma Betts -
Hi Chris and Stuart,

Thanks very much for your replys.

I have since taken to pasting text directly into the html view. When I originally toggled into html I too couldn't believe how much code accompanied 4 lines of text!! And that was stuff I had apparently removed the formatting from.

I have also just decided to go with the trebuchet default - I thought not much point fighting on that one.

On the timeout issue, when I have big pages to put together I have been saving them in sections - to avoid the frustration of losing a bunch of work.

Consequently, it was a breeze to finish putting together my lesson. And I have also had no more "page not loaded" issues. Yay. Also learning some basic html, probably a good thing.

Thanks again,
Emma