moodle 1.0.9

moodle 1.0.9

by Patrik Nilsson -
Number of replies: 8

I have downloaded moodle 1.0.9 and installed and everything seems to run fine.

Except one thing.. when i try add a resorce and going to write the text i get an error message.
the text editor i assume is the problem.. got the message.

Line:133
error:'document.richedit' is null or not an object

Does anyone know what happened.. the text editor worked in the nightly dump i got a couple a weeks ago but not in this final relese.

sad.gif

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Patrik Nilsson

Re: moodle 1.0.9

by Patrik Nilsson -

I turned off the html editor, then i stop getting the error message.
But writing this message I have the html editor here at moodle site.
So why is it working here but gives an error message on my servers.. have tried two different servers with the same result. It doesn't work to use wiki text eighter

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Just turn off "Script debugging" in your IE preferences.

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=922&parent=3752
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Patrik Nilsson -

I checked that.. its not turned on in the preferences.
Are you running version 1.0.9 here ? because the editor shows up here just as it should but on my server I am getting the error message.
I use the same browser and same computer and get two different results ?
The odd thing is it was working fine in the beta version but stopped now. 
instead of the editor i only get a blank page and I kan type text and it gets written when I save.
So the function in it self seems to work. Its just the editor that doesn't start. 

by Patrik Nilsson -

Now i am even more confused.. I was going to type a news in the websitenews.
On that page the editor works just fine. But in a course if I add a resource and use text then the html editor doesn't show. After a closer look. The script in the /mod/forum folder works and the editor pops up. but the script in the /mod/resource folder does not show the editor just a blank white page to write on.

Richtext editor

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Not all text fields use the Richtext editor, it was added more recently to only those fields for which HTML can be useful.

The Richtext editor hasn't really changed since 1.0.6 (except for some new translations that were added).

Re: Richtext editor

by Patrik Nilsson -

The editor was showing up before when you add a text resource. So you say this can be because an uppgraded translation ? But thoose files are in /mod/resources.
Translations is in /lang/whatever. So the languish translations shouldn't effect should it ?
Something must have changed since 1.0.9 beta to final relese. In the beta version I had the editor showing up but now it doesn't. Am I the only one with this problem ?
If someone adds a text resource in IE 6 does the editor show up ?
I am sure it should come up since i get the message it can't start because the value is null.
but what value is it needing ?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Sorry for the confusion. The Richtext editor is actually a separate program, embedded within Moodle.

http://richtext.sourceforge.net/

It's not currently possible to use the Moodle translations with Richtext, so it has it's own file of translations. These are the ones I alluded to. Some related discussion is here:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=1181

To get the editor when adding a resource, you need to specify "HTML text" as the format on the first page. If you choose "Plain text" then you won't get the HTML editor, you just get a plain text field.

On top of all this I found a little bug on the resource editing page that would produce Javascript errors in IE when the Richext editor was enabled and the user is editing plain-text or Wiki-text resources. This bug has probably been there a long time - and sounds like one of the things you encountered. I've just fixed this in CVS, here is the info if yuo want to patch your own installation:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/moodle/moodle/mod/resource/details.php.diff?r1=1.13&r2=1.14

Does all that make more sense?

by Patrik Nilsson -

Thanks.

Now I understand. I tried to run on different systems and then the light came on about what you where saying.. I am little slow sometimes I guess.
Plain text is just plain text. But there might be a little thing here that people might ask about.
As you mentioned first you have to disable script debug because win xp seems to install that as default. So many Windows XP users might run into that error, wich isn't a error really then but a little confusing.
I just did the patching of the error you found and that solved the error message too.

Your the greatest !
Martin for President... biggrin.gif