File-System Browsing in 2.0

File-System Browsing in 2.0

by Nick Thompson -
Number of replies: 5
All,

I gave an initial demo on the way Moodle 2.0 works here at UCLA, and the first impressions that they had regarding the File Browsing were pretty negative.

2.0 makes the current mechanism for browsing system files even more complicated. When the user tries browsing to a file, he has to click on the folder-file (which is really a folder). In that directory they see two options "Description" which holds files uploaded in the description html-box, and "Files and subfolders". If they click on "Files and subfolders" they are finally taken to that file That ends up being 2 more clicks on top of an already-complicated system.

Has anyone else had problems with the current mechanism for browsing system files? What about the mechanism presented in 2.0? I find it hard to believe that most people are OK with the way that Moodle is moving in this regard.

I'd be interested to hear others thoughts on the subject.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nick Thompson

Re: File-System Browsing in 2.0

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Nick,

Thanks for your feedback on the new file system in Moodle 2.0. I'm just moving this discussion to the Testing and QA forum where hopefully someone will respond soon.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Nick,

Thanks for coming back and engaging with us!

I'm pretty confused what you're describing actually, perhaps it's different terminology... but I don't know that anything I'm seeing is THAT confusing ... what version are you using? (interfaces for files are still under active development at the moment and changing a lot)

A screenshot or two would help.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Nick Thompson -
I think creating a file resource is overall much more powerful with the introduction of repositories, but one default repository: Server files is much more difficult to navigate than before.

I'm attaching a collage of screenshots with an explanation below of the types of thoughts going through some faculty and staff head when looking at the different screens:

1. Where are the files to this course?
    1. why does every folder seem to have at least 2 or more sub-folders? (this obviously varies depending on your assigned roles)
  2. After digging through all the categories, and sub-categories I found it.
    1. What is Course introduction, section summaries, backups, course files, etc
    2. why are none of my files here, just folders with the word (File) appended?
  3. After I click on a folder-file I STILL don't see my file
  4. Finally clicking on "Files and subfolders" I find my file.
BTW, I'm not looking for an answer to any of the questions above. Functionally speaking, I know why everything exists, and what purpose it serves. These are just some of the thoughts and feelings that our staff and faculty had after seeing a DEMO of Moodle 2.0.
Attachment server_files.PNG

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Yes! I am "upping" this question as they say, because I am trying to get my head around this too and I am uncertain of a couple of similar things. I understand the set up (I think) and I know the point of summaries/description etc. But I thought Course files was the folder into which anything you uploaded would go (like Word docs) But - like Nick above -when I upload via "add a resource>file" it just puts my file into a folder which is in addition to everything else there. So what are the course files for? (after asking I shall do my usual and go and read up the docs and find the answersmile) I know you can upload into the course files folder if you upload from course admin>files by the way. Also - how do you delete that folder inside which is your(my) test Word doc? I can delete the doc itself as there's an X but the yellow folder still exists which seems a bit pointless to me if there is nothing in there.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I think the only reason course files exists is to deal with courses that have been upgraded from Moodle 1.9. It may contain files, and we can't delete them on upgrade. However, no new files will every get added there.