Review of students answer history in adaptive (calculated) questions

Review of students answer history in adaptive (calculated) questions

by Gábor Katona -
Number of replies: 13
I use calculated questions with adaptive mode to test and also teach students. If a student is willing to study, then finally all of the answers should be correct, the mistakes will be visible through the points.
Is it possible to access the student's answer history, to be able to check the mistaken points in some special cases? For example to student claims, that her/his first answer was correct, but the precision was bad, so moodle rejected the answer. This way one could check if the tolerance settings are correct and the student made to much rounding, or the tolerance is indeed to strict.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gábor Katona

Re: Review of students answer history in adaptive (calculated) questions

by Pierre Pichet -
Unless I don't understand your question, the quiz report should fulfil your needs.

If you go to the report part of the quiz, you (and the student) can acces each attempt, see the answer given by the student and even manually regrade the quiz.

Pierre
In reply to Pierre Pichet

Tárgy: Re: Review of students answer history in adaptive (calculated) questions

by Gábor Katona -
My quiz is set to allow only 1 attempt, but the questions run in adaptive mode, so within the one and only attempt all questions can be answered again and again until the correct answer is given. I would like to access the answer history of the student for each question.

Example:

Question: 3+4=?
1st answer: 8 -> student gets penalty and tries again
2nd answer: 7

When I check the attempt of the student, I see only the 2nd answer, and the fact, that a penalty was given. I would like to see what was the answer of the student before giving the correct one. Is it stored at all?

Mod: The quiz is set as to contain random questions from the question base. It seems that this is the problem, because if I make a test quiz with selected questions, then a "History of responses" is visible, and this is what I need. But using randomly selected questions this doesn't work, at least for me.
In reply to Gábor Katona

Tárgy: Re: Review of students answer history in adaptive (calculated) questions

by Gábor Katona -
The version of my Moodle is 1.9.2+
In reply to Gábor Katona

Re: Tárgy: Re: Review of students answer history in adaptive (calculated) questions

by Jeff Forssell -
I also like to use questions as teaching tools and use adaptive mode with lots of feedback for different errors.

I have made a video about doing this (it is not the "calculated" question type, but I think the same procedure is possible:

Welcome to to check out some suggestions I have for the numerical question type.
In reply to Jeff Forssell

Tárgy: Re: Tárgy: Re: Review of students answer history in adaptive (calculated) questions

by Gábor Katona -
My trials show, that the problem arises when I use random questions. Random questions mean randomly selected questions from a question pool, and not randomly ordered fixed questions. So I have e.g. 10 questions in a topic, but I want to use only 5 in the quiz, randomly selected from the 10. In this case there is no "History of attempts". Just try this, make a quiz, add 1 random question, answer it wrong than right, and there will be no history of attempts.

Again, I use 1.9.2+ at the moment. I hope that at least the database stores the attempt, and this is only a problem with presenting them.
In reply to Gábor Katona

Re: Tárgy: Re: Tárgy: Re: Review of students answer history in adaptive (calculated) questions

by Pierre Pichet -
Tim Hunt is rewriting the question engine and random question is one specially complex case to solve.
see What I am going to be working on next on this forum.

Pierre

Tárgy: Re: Tárgy: Re: Tárgy: Re: Review of students answer history in adaptive (calculated) questions

by Gábor Katona -
Thanks. Could you or Tim Hunt comment on whether this is only a problem of displaying "History of responses", but the responses are saved into the database, or if I use random questions, than responses of the student are not saved at all.
In reply to Gábor Katona

Tárgy: Re: Tárgy: Re: Tárgy: Re: Review of students answer history in adaptive (calculated) questions

by Gábor Katona -
I looked a bit into the source code. If I understand correctly, "random" questions form a question type, and this type works as to pick a random question, than call the methods of that question type. So my random questions pick a question, this will be calculated question (I only have calculated), than the print method of calculated question reformulates the question for numerical type, than the numerical type uses the short answer type to display and further manage the question. This way the "history of responses" should work, since it works for not random calculated. Unfortunately so far I couldn't find which database table store the responses, because I would like to check with raw SQL access if the responses are stored. Could you help in this? I only need the name of the tables, formulating the SQL clause is not a problem.
In reply to Gábor Katona

Re: Tárgy: Re: Tárgy: Re: Tárgy: Re: Review of students answer history in adaptive (calculated) questions

by Pierre Pichet -
There is some misunderstanding.
Random questions attempts are stored as other questions.
You can see the student results (and can modified them) when viewing the quiz reports results even in item analysis.(version 1.9).

Pierre

Tárgy: Re: Tárgy: Re: Tárgy: Re: Tárgy: Re: Review of students answer history in adaptive (calculated) questions

by Gábor Katona -
Ok, to make it short and clear I created a test case.

Two totally identical numerical questions (just to be simple and don't mess with calculated) are put into a question category. The numerical questions are:

3+7=

These questions are added to a quiz in the following way: One of the questions is added directly to the quiz, this will be the first question. Then 1 random question is added from this category. As the category contains 2 questions, the randomly added is not really random, but the other question, this is the second question in the quiz.

The quiz now looks as:quiz.jpg
I attempt the quiz, and answer 11, 9, 10 to both questions. Then the review of the test results in:
history_of_responses.jpg
As you can see, there is "history of responses" for the first question, which is added directly, but there is no such for the randomly added. I cannot access the responses of a student for random questions at all. This is quite a big problem, isn't it?

Until it gets fixed by the rewrite of the quiz module, I could access the responses needed by direct database access, if the responses are saved, and I get some hint about which table to query. Could you or Tim Hunt help in this?
In reply to Gábor Katona

Re: random attempts and history !

by Pierre Pichet -
Quite clear wink.
As was said elsewhere "Houston ,we have a problem".

It should be already in tracker as a bug.

There more bugs on random than the time I have to identify the good one.sad

Tim should know which one.

Pierre

Re: random attempts and history !

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Actually, I don't recall seeing that bug before. Please could you file a new tracker issue, with that screenshot that makes the problem very clear.