Accidently took away all admin abilities- HELP

Accidently took away all admin abilities- HELP

by Carolyn Minks -
Number of replies: 8

PLEASE HELP!

I accidentally took away all admin abilities from the school site.  I was enrolled as an administrator and I was trying to work on roles for my students.  I accidentally took away all  control of everything.  On the front page I can't even access roles or permissions anymore.  My IT guy is going to absolutely kill me!  PLEASE help.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Carolyn Minks

Re: Accidently took away all admin abilities- HELP

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Are you the ONLY admin at the school? If not, then get your other admin to log in and put you back on.
If yes - then do you have access to the files on the server (like ftp access)? There is a desperate admin fix here which you have to put in to your Moodle folder on the server to reset everything - it is here
If you don't have access to the server then you are going to have to get in touch with the person who does - is that your IT guy?? sad
PS - do you not even have "turn editing on " on your front page? Sometimes people accidentally delete the admin block and that's an easy one to get back.
When it is all sorted again, as it will be, don't worry about working on roles for your students -they don't need anything altering from the front page.
Good lucksmile
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Carolyn Minks -
Thanks for your suggestion.  My site admin tried to unblock using the suggestion above.  The message error says that he does not have permission to do this.  Any other ideas or is he not doing this right?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Where exactly did he put the file?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Carolyn Minks -

Mary,

He put it into the web directory- in root.  He says that it told him he didn't have high enough priveledges.

He wants to know if there is a specific directory that he should use.  I am also sending him the information that Frank gave me (from below). 

If he is successful with this reset, will we lose all work that has already been put into the program?

Thanks!

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Carolyn Minks -

Mary,

He put it into the web directory- in root.  He says that it told him he didn't have high enough priveledges.

He wants to know if there is a specific directory that he should use.  I am also sending him the information that Frank gave me (from below). 

If he is successful with this reset, will we lose all work that has already been put into the program?

Thanks!

by Frank Ralf -
Can't you just use phpMyAdmin for directly switching back the permissions in the database?

The role_assignments table looks like a good candidate (see Development:Database schema introduction#The roles and capabilities system).

You're not the first and only one with that problem:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/search.php?id=5&search=phpmyadmin+role_assignments

hth
Frank
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Carolyn Minks -
Thank you Frank.  I am forwarding this information to my administrator. 
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Carolyn Minks -
Thank you Frank.  I am forwarding this information to my administrator.