Managing one-off enrolments

Managing one-off enrolments

by Dan Roddy -
Number of replies: 2
We are a commercial training organisation. I'm the admin for a degree course we run with about 40-50 students at anyone time, over the two years the course runs. There are different groups within that, like admission cohorts (4) and pathways (2) and these are set (eg cohort 3, pathway 2 includes the same 6 people).

It seems enrolling students on specific modules is unnecessarily awkward as for each module I have to pick the same subsets out each time. This means scrolling through the list and selecting the 3-20 students in a particular set.

This must be wrong. Surely there is some way of marking a person as a member of a set then just enrolling that set into a module (or being able to select that set)? I realise meta courses might do this, but I'd rather not have any more courses set up - the students seem to be struggling with the four or so they have to cope with at any one time, and many of the courses have been made - I couldn't switch on meta courses now without rebuilding them anyway.

However, admittedly the number of students in that case is hardly awkward, but I am also the admin for a separate site where we intend to provide elearning to supplement our commercial training. Here we train around 20-80 folks every week, so I want really to be able to load lists of users directly into an individual course, not into the site wide admin, then have to trawl through what will be a rapidly growing list.

What I need really is something like an "Enrol user on course x" option in the bulk user options. I've looked at plugins like Moomis and Enhanced User Management, but they don't seem to offer this functionality.

Even the shonky LMS my former employer had built had this feature so I'm positive something like this must be available in Moodle, but I'm damned if I can find it. For six months I've looked at this and can't seem to find anything that seems to do the business. Where am I going wrong? Heeelllp!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dan Roddy

Re: Managing one-off enrolments

by Dan Roddy -
Aha, found out that bulk upload of users does support enrolling directly into a course, but by specification in the CSV file, not as an option on or after upload as I was looking for. So that's one problem solved.
In reply to Dan Roddy

Re: Managing one-off enrolments

by Dan Roddy -
This is what getting in the zone does for you:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=106961

This patch seems to offer the kind of bulk action I was expecting. I just knew it had to be there. Now I'm most of the way to a solution (until 2.0 comes along and breaks all the mods I'm having to make).