General help

The default user role "Authenticated user" is incorrectly defined!

Picture of Christophe Leville
The default user role "Authenticated user" is incorrectly defined!

In Website-Adminstration/Reports/Security Overview I have a few default configurations that are showing the status "critical". For example for "Registered user role" , it says "critical: The default user role "Authenticated user" is incorrectly defined!". Same thing for "Default course role (global)" and for "Default roles (courses)". I don't understand why I do have those critical status though.
I couldn't find any information anywhere about it.
Thanks for any help.
christophe

Average of ratings: -
moi!!! it is what is is...
Re: The default user role "Authenticated user" is incorrectly defined!
Documentation writersParticularly helpful Moodlers
I am going to assume you
  1. clicked on the Issue in the first column,
  2. looked at the note provided
  3. checked the Moodle Doc the Issue connects to.
If not, do it, there is a little information there to be gleaned that may prove helpful.

As far as the Global User, the default setting is Authenticated User, so it should be ok. Change it to Student, this helps access to front page news and other elements set up for logged in users.

I would suggest that before you do this, go to
  • Administration Users Permissions Define roles
Select the Authenticated user and click Reset to Defaults.

This may not have any impact, but the issues you are talking about suggest there is a permissions thing going on. You, or someone else, perhaps even a Teacher using the override procedure, have changed a permission that introduced a security risk. If you set that roll back to its defaults, then that may clear up the problem.

Picture of Christophe Leville

Thanks for your answer.
I did set the roles to default configuration but it didn't change anything. Is there any other place where someone could have had override the configurations?

Wellingtonia Tree

Hi
I've got exactly the same issue as you. I too have tried resetting to default, even though they've never been changed from default and I still have critical for status.
I don't know how long this issue has been there as I only noticed the page a couple of weeks back.
I know this post isn't helping you fix your problem, but it does highlight that you aren't alone!

For authenticated user all I could narrow it down to was ensure that course view is not enabled. Mine isn't enabled but it still says critical. I even tried turning the legacy role to none, but it still comes back as critical.

Wellingtonia Tree

Hi

I've found this bug report http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-18033
which basically says if you have windows 2003, apache php and Mysql and also the feedback module, then there is a bug.
Well that matches my set up to a tea, so I'm off to investigate whether the feedback module has a more recent version than the one I'm running to see if it will go away.
Regards

moi!!! it is what is is...
Documentation writersParticularly helpful Moodlers
Oh my..
if you have windows 2003, apache php and Mysql and also
the feedback module, then there is a bug.

It is interesting how script like PHP can be distorted in an environment. Never understood that.... So what is the variable element? Windows 2003, obviously. Does this happen only in Windows 2003? Or can it happen in Ubuntu or Debian or Suse? If it only happens in 2003, then does it happen in later versions?

Again, it is the Microsoft element that does not appear to be a stable as it should be.... or am I being too critical? Or perhaps, too critical of Microsoft and not critical enough of Moodle? But then, even with all the information Microsoft releases about their server software, it would be asking too much for everything to be perfect...